Author Topic: Couple of questions on Red Elm  (Read 826 times)

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
Couple of questions on Red Elm
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:11 pm »
I am going to make a bow for a co-workers wife. Her dad had given her a bow when she was young (it was lost during a move) and she swears it was made of Elm, and I just happen to have this -

I'm thinking somewhere around 62" and around #30 @ 26". I  have never worked with Red Elm before and was wondering if I can leave the sapwood on or do I have to remove it and chase a ring? I would really like to leave it on if possible. What design would work best? Parallel or a pyramid style, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

>>>---------->

Offline Dvshunter

Re: Couple of questions on Red Elm
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:55 pm »
Nice looking stick. Leave the sapwood on and make it 62 ntn. Tiller it as is with a profile that straight tapers after six or seven inches. Go an inch and a half wide for that parallel and taper to 3/8 tips. I might chase one rind down to have more of the heartwood in the limbs for looks but that's just me. Also consider heat treating some reflex into it for a bit more snap. I like elm its a joy to work. 
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
Re: Couple of questions on Red Elm
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:08:49 pm »
Sweet, I was hoping I could just leave it on. I'll go down a ring or so to be able to leave on some heartwood and follow those dimensions. Thanks :)
>>>---------->