Author Topic: Making my first bow  (Read 765 times)

Offline denisonc

Making my first bow
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:52:57 pm »
I am a new archer/bowmaker, and would like to get started on my first "real" bow. I have made some strung saplings before, but would like to get deeper into the art of bow making. If anybody knows of any tutorials or advice to help me get started I would greatly appreciate it. I case it helps, I have a 3" round ash stave that has been drying for a year and a half, and have access to an ax, hatchet, rasp, knife, and a few other tools. No power tools though. Thanks in advance.

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Re: Making my first bow
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:59:49 pm »
I just finshed making my first bow and those are all the tools I used. There are some build alongs in the build along sub topic that can be of help, but what helps the most is talking to the guys on here with a lot of experience they are very wise and welcoming.
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »
I am a fairly new bowyer myself, and have found The Traditional Bowyer's Bible to be a great resource, and a must buy if you are looking to start getting into bowmaking.  I have also learned tons lurking around here.  I would also recommend doing a search on the forum for Ash bows, and you may pull up some tips related to that specific wood.  The tools you have will get the job done.  My favorite tool to use so far is my farriers rasp.

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:05:56 pm »
Your ash should work great. the only tool I think will help you more would be the scraper. I used a knife untill I tried a scraper, much better. Lot in the how to build along here. george's site is great.