Author Topic: Does this look like yew  (Read 10824 times)

Offline rps3

Does this look like yew
« on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:23 pm »
I cut this last summer out of my son's new house. I think it is yew, what do you say? Just quickly roughed out a bow from a lousy piece to see what it would do. 50", 40# at 25" Shoots an arrow good enough for me.

Offline rps3

Re: Does this look like yew
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:50:16 pm »

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »

Offline rps3

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:22 pm »

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 08:51:51 pm »

Offline rps3

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:52:27 pm »

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:23 pm »
Nope
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:51:50 pm »
That's short and sweet Bryce. I should have taken a pic of the needles, or leaves, or whatever they are called so it could be identified. Some type of ornamental tree. I think it is worth another bow at least to see what happens.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 09:53:51 pm »

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 09:59:40 pm »
Nice little bow from it though.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 10:06:35 pm »
Hey you pacific guys...the yew ornamentals have a different bark and lighter faster growing heartwood....it looks like a type of yew ornamental hybrid to me..although its hard to tell and see by your pics bob....there's several different yew hybrid ornamentals ....its obvious its a conifer and there isn't too many other conifers that make bows...especislly ones that are short snd pulling half of there length unbacked.....and the only other conifers here in pa is ERC..and that ain't ERC....the other is yew ornamentals n sometimes a rare English yew

Looks like a sweet lil bending shooter to me

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:34 pm »
Was it a single main trunked tree, or several main branches coming from one base? I really am on the fence with this one. Kinda reminds me of what I call yard juniper.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 10:23:26 pm »
Hey you pacific guys...the yew ornamentals have a different bark and lighter faster growing heartwood....it looks like a type of yew ornamental hybrid to me..although its hard to tell and see by your pics bob....there's several different yew hybrid ornamentals ....its obvious its a conifer and there isn't too many other conifers that make bows...especislly ones that are short snd pulling half of there length unbacked.....and the only other conifers here in pa is ERC..and that ain't ERC....the other is yew ornamentals n sometimes a rare English yew

Looks like a sweet lil bending shooter to me

Weeeeellll eeexcuuuuuuse me! Mr. Know it all  :laugh: >:D

Edit: that doesn't look like any yew that I have ever seen personally with my own two eye balls. :P
Clatskanie, Oregon

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 10:32:10 pm »
By the pics its really tough to say what it is or isn't without a doubt...if its a yard juniper it sure is pulling hard and far for a short unbacked juniper ...which makes me rule that out more than a yew ornamental...but there always is that rare anomaly....wish you had some pics of the tree when you cut it...at least it being a conifer really narrows things down...not too much good bending pine out there..lol