Author Topic: Board bow tiller  (Read 4890 times)

Offline yellow feather

Board bow tiller
« on: October 19, 2007, 07:40:28 pm »
Hello
 This is the second bow I tried to build after breaking the first. I would like  some critic on my tiller so far. It is 66" ntn 1 1/2 at fades straight taper to 5/8.  Redoak board burlap backed. Shooting for 40+ at 27. It seems to have alo of set after unstringing it. Sorry some of the pics. are alittle fussy

Thanks in advance....David
San Angelo, Texas

Offline david w.

Re: Board bow tiller
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:01:17 pm »
i am new at this so i wouldnt take my advice but it looks like the right limb is bending more. becareful not to form a hinge
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 08:16:11 pm »
What davis said and you need more bending closer to the handle area out to just before mid limb. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 07:29:46 am »
Never pull the bow past its intended draw weight, also only pull it it far enough to see a problem then
stop and fix it. Exercise the limbs 20 to 30 times between each wood removal. Make sure your stave is dry.
All these will help you build a shooter and minimize set. With that said don't be to concerned if you end up with some set.
It doesn't diminish the accomplishment and makes for a softer shooting bow. Good luck and keep us posted.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 02:56:06 pm »
Thanks, I'll keep you posted but it might be a day or two before I get a chance to work on it again..                               
                                    David
San Angelo, Texas

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 06:03:52 pm »
Ok I finally got to work on it a little ,what do you think now? I'm at a loss
San Angelo, Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 06:36:33 pm »
The bend looks good in both limbs but the right limb bends more than the left limb. Take a little more off of the left limb...the full length.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 06:40:27 pm »
What Pat said first. After they are both bending the same distance, I would get a little more bending going on in the fade areas.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 10:06:29 am »
Have to agree with pat & justin,looks good,go slow youll get there. Ive made several redoak bows from boards, I think in redoak the better the grain structure the less it tends to set,but you can flip the tips and aleveiate some of that. You could also back it with hickory or some other good backing, cloth is protective,doesnt really enhance whats all ready there. I recently bought rudderbows dvd on board bow building,I really liked it,goood info,maybe a little corny. But worth the 20.00!
laugh. its good for ya