Author Topic: "New" Scraper Tool...?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline SwingsAndArrows

"New" Scraper Tool...?
« on: March 04, 2013, 05:20:39 pm »
Bowyers!

This is my first post...I've really enjoyed "lurking", this is a wonderful forum!

I've been chasing an undulating ring on an Osage stave, and I've been a bit frustrated with curved cabinet scrapers (probably more a testament to my poor burnishing skills than an indictment of scrapers).  BUT, think I stumbled onto a new use for...my broken hockey skate blades!

A while back I took a hard shot on my skate, breaking the blade...they're replaced in pairs, typically.  Guy at the shop asked me if I wanted the old ones, and for some reason I decided to take them.  Glad I did!  Wonderful tools for scraping!  The tip curves up nicely for working the ring valleys.  Working around pin knots is a breeze too (grasping either end of the blade, and seasawing around the knot while removing wood).

Just thought I'd share that...don't know if I'm the first to do it...likely NOT!

Mike

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: "New" Scraper Tool...?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:29:01 pm »
I prefer a rigid scraper with no flex at all. Im betting your hockey blade will be handy, if it burrs up and stays burred up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:37:26 pm »
Can you post a pic of it in action?

OneBow

Offline SwingsAndArrows

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:51:08 pm »
Pearl Drums: yes!  It's rigid and holds (2) edges very well.

OneBow: I'll work on getting a photo or two tomorrow...I'll need an extra set of hands.

Thanks Gents,
Mike

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:38:27 pm »
I like my steel throw cards (like throwing stars) i had them for years and never used them for anythinh then i started making bows and it makes a great scraper. Its weird where some of us get our tools lol.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:50 pm »
Those of us that get into this mania are born scroungers.  We tend to think out of the box because we just can't find ourselves willing to be stuffed into a box, you know. 

And best of all.....that's the very thing that made our ancestors good bowyers, the ones that fed their families, for cripes sakes, lived long enough to HAVE families.  Just carryin' on the family tradition.... 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.