Author Topic: Is a well tillered bow more accurate  (Read 11552 times)

Offline osagejack

Re: Is a well tillered bow more actuate
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 04:45:53 pm »
absouttely no bearing on accuracy if everything is the same ,, the arrow has to hit the same spot,,,,the arrow does not know if the bow is well tillered  or not,,other wise I would have never hit anything, don't know if I ever made a well tillered bow,,  may be we can test this theory out I will bring a badly tillered bow to the classic and shoot it with anyone,,sounds like fun :laugh:

Offline iowabow

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »
WOW great conversation. Thanks for not fighting and keep the opinions coming. 
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 04:58:17 pm »
Strap two bows in shooting machines, one "perfectly tillered" and the other "hingy and poorly timed" and I would bet that they consistently launch the same arrow repeatedly into the same sized circle.
 A bow repeatedly works exactly the same way on each shot if the archer points it in the right direction.  >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:02 pm »
Pat have you ever shot/made a poorly tillered bow that didn't balance in your hand due to one strong limb? I have and it seems each time I release the torque caused can make that arrow jump in 10 directions upon release. That's what I'm basing my opinion from. I'm actually floored by the subjectivity this topic raised, I didn't see that coming.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »
it's a combination of all factors, great bow proper arrows, release, practice ect......., Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:55 pm »
Let's turn it on it's head.
If a poorly tillered bow shot more accurately than a 'well tillered' one we'd all surely tiller 'em that way and thus they'd be considered 'well tillered'!
Reductio ad abusurdum.
Not sure what the heck I just proved, but sure impressed the heck out of me :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Stringman

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 05:18:54 pm »
That might be true, the problem being we are not machines so our technique (and consequently, accuracy) is directly related to our ability to shoot said bow well. Back to my original point. It effects our ability to shoot. But I also agree with the argument that a poorly tiller bow can be less consistent. And consistency leads to accuracy no question.

@ buckeye I think what I was trying to say is that poorly tillered limbs can return to their resting place at different times (an argument I am paraphrasing from previous reading) and this lack of unison creates the hand shock.

Scott

Offline Jesse

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 05:20:06 pm »
I think arrows have more of an affect on accuracy than the bow but certain bows are without a doubt easier to shoot accurately than others.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 05:27:58 pm »
Strap two bows in shooting machines, one "perfectly tillered" and the other "hingy and poorly timed" and I would bet that they consistently launch the same arrow repeatedly into the same sized circle.
 A bow repeatedly works exactly the same way on each shot if the archer points it in the right direction.  >:D

Do that and shoot the bows every day for six months.  I bet the well tillered bow will hit the same target for six months and the poorly tillered bow will start to stray as stress degrades the limbs and the bow transfers less energy into the arrow over time. If it doesn't break before 6 months are up.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 05:35:40 pm »
In science class we'd be looking at precision vs accuracy.  Just about any bow with any tiller is accurate.... it sends each arrow in the direction it is loosed.  I DO believe quality of tiller affects precision ... that is the REPEATABILITY aspect of shooting.  It seems that a poorly tillered bow will continue to change (even if minutely, as it creeps ultimately toward failure) with each shot, therefore removing any possibility of the archer having consistent results.  It seems to follow that better tiller = less change w/in the bow = more consistent shooting (provided the archer of course does his part).

My 1.5 cents ;)

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »
I'm pretty much with scott. In addition to hand shock and the things that make bows uncomfortable to shoot, greater velocity means flatter trajectories over longer distance which will make shooting at unknown distances a little easier.

Jessie raises a solid point too.  A bit of stiffness mid limb is nothing compared to have a crooked arrow.

2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »
From my experiences an improperly tiller bow that twists in the limbs when drawn can be less accurate and lead to inconstancy. In my case the only bows that are more inaccurate when shooting that are not properly tillered are those that tend to have some limb twist when pulled. I have tested a few of my bows from the past that seem to have some slight limb twist and found that they are inconsitent, but only those that seem to have the twist when drawn. My logic as to explaining this is, that any inconsistancy in the draw even by 1/8 inch over or under draw has an effect on the twist of the limb therefore will magnify the accuracy issue greatly and lead to wobbling arrows or just plain scattered arrows as compared to a well tillered non twisting bow.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline iowabow

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 06:27:15 pm »
I dont have answers only questions so....if a test was conducted would the test need to reflect how a hand holds a bow or would you just clamp it to a ridge structure.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »
that'sit, i'm gonna start making crappy bows, uh I just looked, never mind ;D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 06:45:41 pm »
I think a well tuned arrow and/or the archer are where accuracy comes from. Take a well tillered bow and an untuned arrow and/or a crappy archer and the set up will be inaccurate but take a poorly tillered bow with the appropriate arrow and a good archer and the archer can shoot accurately. IMO the bow is the least important part of the 3 components.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC