Author Topic: Is a well tillered bow more accurate  (Read 11518 times)

blackhawk

Re: Is a well tillered bow more actuate
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 09:40:18 am »
I agree with your last sentence pappy... cus everyone is different in how they shoot...some folks never get away from there compound shooting and just yank it back quickly to there anchor and will hold for a few seconds while they adjust for aiming...and some others are fast instinctively snap shooters....and everything in between...Me?....I am aiming before I even start drawing back,and as I draw back I hold steady on that one spot..I hit anchor and a half a second hold I'm letting her rip...so for me if a bow is imbalanced from poor tiller it is going to be hard to pull back smoothly staying on my one spot as I draw it because one limb will be wanting to tilt up or down...so for me the answer is yes...as to how much is obviously up for debate.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 09:58:42 am »
Wow good stuff guys. There is certainly a lot of things happening as a bow is being pulled. There is a lot of bone to bone alignment as well. If a bow was not well tillered maybe the body would have to adjust to compensate for poor tiller so that the bow could hit the same spot. So I guess that having a goal of good tiller on your bows would allow you to shoot each with a similar hold and technique. Maybe having 5 bows tillered differently would cause you to adjust with each.  the need to adjust must be do to the mechanics of ones body. If we all agree on the above then tiller  does not effect the "bows" accuracy but effects our ability to be constantly accurate as we switch from bow to bow. Just a thought from all of the post.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:02:01 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:01 am »
I agree that a well tillered bow is easier to shoot ,but the question is on accuracy of the bow not the shooter,if you put a bad tillered bow in a machine that will hold and shoot it the very same every time it will hit the same spot every time with the same arrow, that is all I am saying. So the answer to the question ask for me is No. ;) :) :) Man this is a fun way to spend the morning. ;) ??? :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 10:09:39 am »
I agree that a well tillered bow is easier to shoot ,but the question is on accuracy of the bow not the shooter,if you put a bad tillered bow in a machine that will hold and shoot it the very same every time it will hit the same spot every time with the same arrow, that is all I am saying. So the answer to the question ask for me is No. ;) :) :) Man this is a fun way to spend the morning. ;) ??? :-\
   Pappy
I guess this was my point exactly! The human factor can not be removed. Therefore proper tiller is a benifical quality to the "archer's" accuracy.

Offline iowabow

Re: Is a well tillered bow more acctuate
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 10:14:51 am »
And you are correct as well because the " bow" will hit the spot not the archer. I think we are agreeing Pappy.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Is a well tillered bow more accurate
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2013, 10:21:17 am »
My opinion; If you have a poorly tillered bow with the limbs out of time, it won't send an arrow to the same place consistently unless you have it set up in a shooting machine with perfectly matched arrows.

Bows don't shoot themselves so you can't take the archer out of the equation. It has been my experience from some of my early bows that poorly tillered bows are very difficult to shoot as well as match arrows to. You can adapt to a bows shortcomings over time but why, when correcting the tiller makes it a joy to shoot.

blackhawk

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2013, 10:22:09 am »
Yup..beneficial to us as an archer....cus we don't shoot our bows with machines...our bodies are not static like a shooting machine is and to me the point of bringing up the shooting machine is moot and irrelevant because we shoot with our bodies..not some contraception to hold it staticly and 100% steady n stable....so does proper tiller make a bow more accurately in a shooting machine..no....will it "help" an archer be more accurate.in most cases..yes....its black n white to me....if y'all disagree then go ahead and make poorly tillered bows and don't worry about your tiller...cus if it doesn't affect you then why even try to get perfect tiller

mikekeswick

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2013, 10:33:32 am »
@ buckeye I think what I was trying to say is that poorly tillered limbs can return to their resting place at different times (an argument I am paraphrasing from previous reading) and this lack of unison creates the hand shock.

Scott

Since this was brought up and it's something I hear a lot, I'd also like to learn more about how one limb can come to rest before the other or be out of time with the other. The string tied between the limbs is what will stop their movement......they will both move until the string gets tight and stops the two at the same time, right?. Even if one limb is longer..shorter...stronger...weaker....the string between the two is still what should stop their travel simultaneously......at least  that's the way it works in my pea sized brain. If there wasn't a string to stop their movement and the limbs were pulled back and just let loose to stop on their own then I can see how one could stop at a different time than the other, but being pre-stressed and connected by the string I just can't see how that could happen.  Am I thinking of this wrong or is this one of those things we hear often that really isn't true?

If you think that the string stops each limb in the same place because it is tied to the end of the limbs then string up a bow, clamp it string up in a vice by the handle and pull a little on one of the limb tips (simulating it being stronger). Notice the other tip move.....
The bows tiller is what makes a balanced, well behaved bow that is easier to shoot accurately.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2013, 10:34:24 am »
    so does proper tiller make a bow more accurately in a shooting machine..no.... you answered the question. :) And by the way no one wants a poorly tillered bow,and everyone knows that a good tillered bow is easier for the shooter to shoot accurate and more of a pleasure to shoot. :) But that wasn't the question. ;) :) 
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2013, 10:39:31 am »
Ok this answered my question and make my want to get even better at tillering.

blackhawk

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2013, 10:45:07 am »
But your question was so vague that there is no right answer ...next time be more specific and we won't have to open up a can of worms again...lol  :laugh:

What amuses me is that 95% of the people that responded to this thread tiller a bow well..and we all basically believe its best for "us" to tiller a bow well.....yet not everyone agrees because everyone takes and views the question differently because it was so vague.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2013, 10:49:51 am »
John next time why don't you bring up Osage over yew/Instinctive over point of aim/ fast flight verse b50 /tilleringstick verse tiller tree/ what is really primitive /or what is a selfbow, Copper verse Abo/ I could go on and on.  ;) :)You know something anything a little less contraversal. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2013, 10:51:34 am »
It'd be boring if we didnt get a splash of gas tossed on the fire once in a while!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2013, 10:53:17 am »
Be sure and add to that list tiller profile and front view shape. :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2013, 10:58:57 am »
Yep. How did I forget that. ??? >:D :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good