Author Topic: Is a well tillered bow more accurate  (Read 11522 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Is a well tillered bow more actuate
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 06:55:28 pm »
My first successfull bow was definitely not well tillered. But i have killed more deer with it than any other i have made, so i would say it is accurate.
Steve Bennett

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 09:05:47 pm »
idk, it seems like whenever i shoot a bow that isn't done being tillered it has a lot of torque, so much it can throw of my shots... i think tiller has a lot to do with accuracy besides just making the bow more comfortable to shoot.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:40 pm »
I can't think of any reason that the tiller of a bow will directly affect accuracy. But it will certainly the cast and durability of a bow.
Gordon

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »
 ;D ;D Me, Imathinkin, proper arrow in a screwed up bow with bad tiller not really a huge problem
but if you could tiller it properly that would be a +.
We all know that arrow spine is the most important equation to accuracy ( I think we do ) .
Proper release is #2 and the bent stick is #3.
So the finer we make the stick and learn lesson #1 and #2?
I'm trying for a little bit better bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:33 pm »
The way I shoot...NEITHER!

But I feel more confident with a well tillered bow, ergo I am more accurate.  All the rest is just good for keeping a conversation animated around the campfire.  Something for us to think about, though!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:32 pm »
The tremendous power of the human mind !
That is the one area I can affirm to make a difference in accuracy coming from tiller !
As far as any other way , maybe I just have not done a poor enough job at tillering yet !!
Have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Roy

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 01:19:12 am »
If you boys would put a sight on your bow then the tiller wouldn't matter... :) :P >:D

Offline Gordon

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 01:36:24 am »
But I feel more confident with a well tillered bow, ergo I am more accurate.

Well you do make a good point. It's a challenge to shoot accurately when you are worried about the bow coming apart at full draw.
Gordon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 06:20:53 pm »
But I feel more confident with a well tillered bow, ergo I am more accurate.

Well you do make a good point. It's a challenge to shoot accurately when you are worried about the bow coming apart at full draw.

Finally!  Gordon, you are a genius!  All these years I have been trying to figure out why I am such a crappy shooter.  With one small comment you have solved everything for me! 

Guess that bars me from every making myself another bow!  Oh, but I feel bad for the poor suckers that trade bows with me.

Stringman

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 06:47:30 pm »
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! I'm sorta hoping I might be the recipient of some of your talent someday. What exactly are you implying?!?   ???

Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 07:02:04 pm »
Pray Scott.  Like you have never prayed before!   Hehehe! 

Your stave is roughed out and stalled out all at once.  I just got off the phone with Mr. Bybee and was telling him I am dragging it down to Tennessee so we can get some collaboration on it's tillering.  And of course, he had to give me a few more teasers about the bow he is doing for me.  The way he was talking to me about this bow I bet I am gonna see a $5.99 a minute charge on my phone bill next month!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 05:58:27 am »
Easier to shoot good,yes,more actuate no,they will all hit where you point ,as Pat say a with a well tuned arrow. Lasting /sweeter and smoother to shoot is the main thing with a nicely tillered bow.  :) JMO.  ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 08:55:37 am »
I've made plenty of crap tillered bows and there is no way I can agree they shoot just as accurate as my well tillered bows, no way. I cant see how tons of handle torque, or one limb being 5-8# heavier than the other cant affect a shot? The poorly tillered bow would have to match limb to limb to shoot as accurate as a well tillered, balanced bow does. A bad tiller can mean a million things that can and do directly affect accuracy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:29 am »
Any one who has ever shot compounds knows that the finer you tune up the limb timing, the tighter the groups.  I believe the same to be true without the wheels.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 09:11:09 am »
This is a question I have heard many many times, no one says they shoot as well
or as easy to shoot,but they will hit where you point no matter how hard they are to handle, how shocky they are or how much torquey they have ,it's up to you to point to the same spot each time. :)  Now you being able to do that the same each time is another question.  :) :) This is another one of the many subjects with selfbows that everyone is never going to agree on. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good