Author Topic: Is a well tillered bow more accurate  (Read 11523 times)

Offline iowabow

Is a well tillered bow more accurate
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:06:26 pm »
Is a well tillered bow more actuate? I know this is a shooting question but it mostly related to building a bow and tillering. I don't know the answer to this question so thought I would ask for you guys to give your opinion.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:37:22 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Is a well tillered bow more actuate
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:23:04 pm »
The bow is not accurate, the archer is.  But a well tillered bow is more comfortable to shoot.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:28:34 pm »
Yes, without question.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:02:52 pm »
In my opinion, tillering effects the things that lead to accuracy. Poor tiller can cause hand shock because one limb resumes brace quicker than the other. This would have a tendency to throw off your shot and since the shooter is not as comfortable, accuracy could suffer. However, with practice, most of this could be overcome. More importantly, poor tiller can lead to poor performance and/or bow failure.

For myself, I have noticed over the years that as my bows have gotten better, my shooting has improved with them. I'm sure this is more than just coincidence.

Scott

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:11:52 pm »
Wot they said +1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:40:23 pm »
No. Good tiller is too subjective a term to have any bearing on the accuracy of a bow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:53:06 pm »
How about proper tiller rather?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 03:53:53 pm »
I'm inclined to say proper tiller has more of an effect on the life of a bow than it's ability to accurately cast an arrow. But with that said I agree with the others on the fact that a well tillered bow has less hand shock and in effect is more well tuned giving the archer a better chance to be as accurate as possible. But I'd bet ol' Byron Ferguson could still amaze folks with his feats of shooting with the crudest of bows. Though he might complain a little...  ;) just my 2 cents.  :) :) :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 03:57:59 pm »
A poorly tillered bow, so long as it shoots consistently can be accurate. Accuracy is calibrated by the archer. However, a poorly tillered bow is, by my definition, unevenly stressed within a limb or between the bows limbs, and will therefore become less consistent over time as areas with greater stress begin to degrade.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 04:06:44 pm »
So when we look at properly tillered bows and say, "wow, I bet that shoots sweet", we arent talking about tilllers effecting shootabiltiy? 

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 04:17:45 pm »
Probably not. It's just the token nice thing to say.  :)  So many more things to sweet shooting than tiller. Arrow weight, string type, set up of brace height and nocking point, bow holding point, tip mass etc.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 04:21:32 pm »
I disagree Pat.

Accuracy and cast are different things. A well tillered bow will shoot sweet, smooth, no stacking, fast etc... things things I think you can see with the tiller.  But I've seen people shoot cluncky horrible bows accurately.  No fun to shoot, but they can hit a target.
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 04:24:18 pm »
This is a Devils Advocvate question. I firmly believe we all know the right answer, admittedly or not.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 04:28:21 pm »
No ! but yes !
 More no than yes !
Why do we like like subjects without proof ?!!
Have fun with this one !
Guy

Stringman   
By the way no one has yet to explained to me how one limb can come to brace before the other when the are tied together with a string !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 04:44:38 pm »
More accurate? No, because accuracy is in the archer. What I think we mean to be talking about is precision, and I think that a properly tillered bow will be more precise, but not more accurate. The concepts of accuracy and precision are closely related, but not the same.

I believe it should make a difference for the same reason that has been stated above. Proper tiller will make the bow more consistent over time, and will reduce things like hand-shock. All of those little things that it contributes too should make a properly tillered bow more precise.

All that said, I don't believe that the beginner or even the intermediate archer would notice the difference in precision because it would be too small and would fall well within their own margin of error. But for the expert shooter, who is already consistently accurate, that small difference in the precision of their bow will make a difference because their margin of error is so small that these minor issues can make significant differences.

If you are shooting a 12 inch group, proper tiller may only make a difference of a 1/4 inch, which means nothing to that group in practical terms. But if you are shooting a 2 inch group, then all of a sudden a 1/4 inch matters a whole lot.