Author Topic: Good ol' Serviceberry  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Good ol' Serviceberry
« on: March 03, 2013, 02:25:03 pm »
So after a while of experimenting with different woods like hawthorn apple and chokecherry i used my last piece of serviceberry to make a bow. Well it doesn't seem like this stuff will ever fail! I'm not sure which is better, hawthorn, chokecherry, or serviceberry....

Wrestling is also done now and we ended off good. In the MS Culminating Tourney i placed 2nd, however i had to wrestle a guy from our own team for 122 Lb weight class...  >:( our team placed first tho, and we won by 100 points to boot.... great year....

Bow is probably like 54" TtT
60# @ 24"

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:56:02 pm by Zion »
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Good ol' Serviceberry
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 02:32:29 pm »
Another excellent bow by you, Zion!  8)...and congrats on winning your wrastling tourney.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:36:29 pm »
Sweet! 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:37:22 pm »
Bow looks real snazzy, spot on tiller, cheers on your wrestling.  I think I finally nailed down what Hawthorn looks like. Seems to be tons in this area.  :)  I have chased down photos of the plant.  Unfortunately it seems like it grows more or less on private property. Can't cut'er down there................ >:( >:(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:52:49 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:43:58 pm »
Very nice! Congrats!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:37:42 pm »
Nice a nice job on some pretty funky wood! Good job on the tiller! Congratulations on the wrestling too! I don't think that I ever mentioned to you that I interviewed for a teaching job in Tonasket in 1975. They offered me the job, but I decided to take a job in Libby, Montana instead. If I had taken the job in Tonasket I probably would have been your Mom and Dad's 3rd grade teacher! Anyway Zion, I love to see your work and read your posts! Keep it up young fella!

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »
Congrads......Bow and wreslin.......
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 05:04:36 pm »
I always like to see your bows!  Good job on that one!  Thanks for sharing.  Keep posting! Congrats on the winning season too!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 05:07:41 pm »
Great bow Mr. Zion!
I'm pretty sure there is a lot of serviceberry growing around here.
I better get some when the leaves come out so I can ID it cause I want one now that I see what You can do with it.
Right on to your boy on the mat work too!
Thanks, Marco D.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »
Thanks guys!!

Sweet Bow 101, i just cut s'more too, found a place where i can get Apple, Serviceberry, Hawthorn, Maple, and OS in one place!! You wouldn't believe the size of the trees that grow up there, i saw hawthorn 20" + in diameter. Knowing how old these trees can get i just cut the 2" ones.  ;)

thanks Dale, ya shoulda taken the job  haha  >:D

Marco, it really is a great wood. It grows in little to big clumps usually on hills with sagebrush and stuff. Usually where there's one clump of it theres 5,000,000 more lol! Yeah, this season was great, it's about time we kicked all the other towns' butt  >:D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 08:13:11 pm »
Another nice looking bow Zion - always impressed with your bows!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:33 pm »

"found a place where i can get Apple, Serviceberry, Hawthorn, Maple, and OS in one place!! "

Good for you , makes it real easy. Nothing like a Super Market of Bow woods....... ;D ;D ;D
I went out today found some Hawthorn along the Rail tracks, have to go back get a good load of it. It still had the berries on it, well a few rotten ones. Made it easy to identify. There is also some choke cherry in the same area. Any way I'll keep plugging away eventually I'll have a good stash of Ocean Spray, Hawthorn and a few other bow woods.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 09:17:40 pm »
You sure do make some sweet bows.
Rob

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 09:33:21 pm »
Sweet bow there Zion. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline IDreamofOsage

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 09:44:18 pm »
Thats a nice looking bow. Keep up the good work on the mat,wrestling is a great sport!