Author Topic: Dreams can come true.  (Read 19920 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Dreams can come true.
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 11:43:19 am »
Thanks for sharing Bill.  I was just curious what kind of ring counts the Italian yew has.  I wonder if CP reserves the higher ring count stuff for the 200lb warbows he makes.  Beautiful looking wood.  On that full draw shot, I would say you need to bend at the waist and knees more to keep your shoulders in line with the line of the arrow.  I don't know anything about warbow technique, so take that with a grain of salt.   ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline adb

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 10:18:30 pm »
How are you doing on the draw BillBow? Are you getting almost to 32" yet?

Looking at this photo I can see that I need to pull my right shoulder back which will give me another 2" or so.
The red mark is 26" my normal target bow draw length, so I think I am drawing about 29" here.
Anyway my coach Poseidon is happy with my progress  ;)

Bill.

What's the over all length of the arrow you're pulling? If I want to draw to 30", I use a 30" arrow. That's 30" from the valley of the nock to the base of the head. That way, I'm not over or under drawing. For me, drawing a warbow is hard enough, never mind guessing what draw length I'm at.
If you want to work up to a longer draw, make some different sized arrows 1" longer up to your final goal.

Offline AH

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2013, 02:40:08 am »
How long is that bow :o
It looks long even for a warbow...
Not that the legnth takes away from it's beauty...
if you guys have not seen this video, here it is. Shows Celestino at work building yew warbows, and them on the tiller. Real neat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNKeYXzki8

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2013, 02:55:16 pm »
Avoiding all the standard arguement over what is and what isn't a warbow, lemme just throw out a hearty congratulations to you on receiving what is very obviously a great bow.  Celestino is an amazing artisan and artist.  His work with yew is just a little slice of heaven and I am envious of your new weapon.  I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BillBow

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2013, 02:38:10 pm »
How long is that bow :o
It looks long even for a warbow...
Not that the legnth takes away from it's beauty...
if you guys have not seen this video, here it is. Shows Celestino at work building yew warbows, and them on the tiller. Real neat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNKeYXzki8
It's 80 " long, Maybe looks more because I am only 68". Glad you like it and the video.

Offline BillBow

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2013, 02:44:56 pm »
Avoiding all the standard arguement over what is and what isn't a warbow, lemme just throw out a hearty congratulations to you on receiving what is very obviously a great bow.  Celestino is an amazing artisan and artist.  His work with yew is just a little slice of heaven and I am envious of your new weapon.  I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come.
It really is a pleasure to shoot, (even with very tender drawing fingers) I am mostly shooting it as a target bow at the moment drawing about 28" but do like trying it for distance when I get the chance.Hope to post some video soon.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 09:50:47 pm »
What's more important...having a bow that meets some arbitrary bunch of rules, or one that flings the arrow with force and accuracy?  Something tells me the archers at Agincourt didn't argue about who's bow was more proper!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline llkinak

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 01:01:59 pm »
Hi, Bill
That's a beautiful bow to be certain.  I'm amazed at how fast it was delivered.  I have a Poletti on order through a bowyer and was told in October of last year it could take six months.  To date it still hasn't arrived. 

At any rate, congratulations on that wonderful bow.  Should be great fun to shoot for a long time.   :)