Author Topic: Osage orange is amazing  (Read 2329 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Osage orange is amazing
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:42:57 pm »
I don't have any pictures to post of this moment, but I was completely amazed about a week ago by a bow that my buddy Robbie built .  Robbie is going to be a great bowyer one of these days, but right now he is on about his second or third bow.  He is a hands on, learn by doing kind of guy.  He split a very straight osage sapling in two and and made a bow out of it.  He took the bark and the sapwood off and roughed it out and let it dry for a month or so.  HE WORKED THE BACK WITH A FOUR INCH ANGLE GRINDER.  Ring chasing didn't enter into it.....   The back looked like hell.  He brought a wonky, non tillered 45lb pull bow to my shop.  He strung it and proceeded to fling arrows into my round bale target.  He is new to selfbows, traditional archery....  Heck, he hasn't even read a full chapter of the Traditional Bow Builder's Bible yet.  He drew that bow back to his ear - 30 or 31 inches at least.  The bottom limb bent like the letter "C"  The top limb had rings not just violated, but literally raped.  It had hinges and flat spots.  It had pin knots shamefully ignored.  I cringed and watched.  I looked around for him some safety glasses or a hard hat.  He kept shooting.  I waited for the big explosion that never came.  He shot that crazy yellow bow for thirty minutes.  It was fast and he could hit with it.  He was so proud of his new bow - and so was I! 
  I thought of the time that I had spent chasing rings and babying pin knots and worrying and fussing over a couple of osage bows in my past.  Here I was thinking you had to be so exact and careful with that yellow wood, when in fact, it is the toughest stuff you could make a bow out of.  Robbie taught me some things about osage.   
  We took his bow and put it on my tillering tree (Robbie hasn't built one yet) and evened up those limbs.  It had taken about 3 inches of set from the incredible abuse it had suffered.  I put the heat gun to it and flipped the tips a little and it came in about 40lbs on the nose.  The back still looks just like it did when he quit grinding it.  He talked about putting a backing on it, I asked him to leave it just like it is as a testament to the king.  I will get some pictures of it as soon as I can.  I am convinced that no other bow wood could have stood up to that kind of abuse and survive. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

blackhawk

Re: Osage orange is amazing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:55:04 pm »
Don't have to tell me ;)  ;D

I've seen a couple novices hack job osage bows as well with major ring violations(6 in 6" in mid limb) n poorly tillered n being drawn to death as well and never broke....nice to see you are finding out just what osage can take some times ;) ...yes it will hold up with violations like that sometimes..but you'll still have a safer bet with a one ring chased as your back.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:04:02 pm »
I hear you Blackhawk.  I won't be changing my methods based on Robbie's experiment - but it was really something to see...  This bow was only about 62 inches long and he pulled it a mile.  I was wondering why I was out of breath just from watching him shoot till I realized that I was holding my breath.  I can't believe it didn't blow.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:04:31 pm »
It's my"PRECIOUS"!love the way it works and finishes!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:21:45 pm »
It's because it's still green and the belly isn't providing the same level of bend resistance on the back.
 I'm not sure how starting out by doing everything totally wrong is a recipe for being a great bowyer.  ???

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 10:10:21 pm »
And this has been "Missing the point," by Mr. M...  ::)  ;)

Great story Howard!! Plenty of time for this guy to learn the finer points of bowmaking, glad he's seen the fun!

Scott

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:50 am »
Not at all. Dumb luck isn't always good luck. ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 03:59:57 am »
I think it's "getting started" that is the road to becoming a great bowyer.
Pride comes before a fall and we are all still learning how far we can push wood.
I often say "it's easy to make a bow... it's much harder to make a good bow".
Love the story and it's great to hear about the enjoyment, enthusiasm and naivety of a newbie.
Sounds like a good bloke to have on board once you've sabotaged his angle grinder  >:D  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.