Author Topic: Women, Longbows, & Wooden Arrows Just Rock....  (Read 9578 times)

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Women, Longbows, & Wooden Arrows Just Rock....
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 11:03:41 am »
My wife actually shot my bow the other day....One can only pray that she decides to engage i something fun with her husband instead of getting frustrated at me because she has some "project" for me to do that is not fun and I aint doin it.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 11:38:07 am »
So, my wife walks in just as rufledt 's pics come up. She laughed as I commented on the penobscot bow in the background. Beautiful wives ,everyone. We are all lucky guys. But only a fellow bowyer would notice that bow in the background. ??? I do it when we watch movies ,with architecture and furniture too.I'm such a geek.Hahaha.On a positive note , she seems to be  warming up to the idea of shooting now that she has seen all of the other wives,joining in. Thanks guys!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 12:33:02 pm »
Yeah you are so right!
There was a period drama on the TV the other night and I noticed a bronze statue of Diana the huntress with an Ivory bow on the mantlepiece.
Damn cameraman wouldn't zoom in on it tho' >:(
Ain't gonna argue with a lady with a bow :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 12:35:50 pm »
JACK, JACK, JACK, CRAFYT!  CONTROL YOURSELF!

Hahah...  One of these days I'll get my wife to slow down enough to shoot a bow these days.  It's not her thing.  She did look quite good, though, when she did some shooting back in the day.  Now we have lots of children... hmmmm. ::)  Funny how that works.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline darwin

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 02:26:02 pm »
I keep trying to get mine into it she seems like she wants to one day and then not on others. women are confusing   ::)

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 02:33:21 pm »
And here my problem has always been getting guys into shooting longbows.  Go figure.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 02:49:28 pm »
I keep trying to get mine into it she seems like she wants to one day and then not on others. women are confusing   ::)

Ah, isn't that the story of women everywhere....with everything? Always made me think the day they say they "love" you what's in their minds the days they don't? :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Rufledt

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 03:38:14 pm »
So, my wife walks in just as rufledt 's pics come up. She laughed as I commented on the penobscot bow in the background. Beautiful wives ,everyone. We are all lucky guys. But only a fellow bowyer would notice that bow in the background. ??? I do it when we watch movies ,with architecture and furniture too.I'm such a geek.Hahaha.On a positive note , she seems to be  warming up to the idea of shooting now that she has seen all of the other wives,joining in. Thanks guys!

Good eye!  That bow is no longer shooing.  I made a switch from nylon to dacron back strings and it chrysaled like crazy. Then a splinter lifted, so I glued and wrapped it.  At full draw, the splinter let go again, only worse.  The bow didn't break (since I had wrapped it heavily) but it instantly took a ton of set right there, so I retired it.  Now it's wall decor.  My wife's bow still shoots, though.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 05:31:04 pm »
I think I have talked more women into building bows than I have men. 

And reading that last sentence I realized I was selling the wrong product.                                                   

*smacks forehead HARD!*

Have you guys found that women generally pick up good shooting form faster than guys and start grouping tighter on the center of the target faster, too?

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 06:27:09 pm »

Have you guys found that women generally pick up good shooting form faster than guys and start grouping tighter on the center of the target faster, too?

I have definitely noticed this.  When I'm teaching traditional archery, it tends to be a girl who has beautiful form by the end of the first lesson while the guys are still trying to explain why they didn't hit the bullseye every time like they're used to (teenage boys being the biggest offenders in that regard).
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 06:38:55 pm »
I think I have talked more women into building bows than I have men. 

And reading that last sentence I realized I was selling the wrong product.                                                   

*smacks forehead HARD!*

LOL... must admit I always notice women's form >:D.
Place I used to work, I'd take the 'girls' out shooting my Chinese Repeating Crossbow in the lunch break (ssssh don't tell Mrs Cat)... they loved slammin' those bolts into the target.
They said it was 'cos they were pretending the target was their ex  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 08:21:32 pm »
My wife could give two hoots about anything bow or archery related............................perfect...........
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 09:19:42 pm »
Well it hain't no wonder Pearly Boy with the bows you make.. :) >:D

Offline coaster500

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 09:56:10 pm »
Built one for the wife a while back and believe it or not her form has improved considerably ....

Every once in a while she and I go out and do a bit of stump shootin.....  shes gettin better :)

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Roy

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 10:14:40 pm »
Bow looks good Kip.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:18:14 pm by Roy »