Author Topic: ERC BOW  (Read 10073 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: ERC BOW
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 04:54:05 pm »
Now that is a thing of beauty! You find that in some dark hollow? Bet you could get a nice english longbow from that, maybe 2 OR 3. Nice piece!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 05:19:21 pm »
Yep, found it back in a thick swamp. There was 4 or 5 but I only had time to cut one. it took me an hour to get it down out of the other trees after I cut it. It wouldn't fall. And I was planning an ELB.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 06:11:00 pm »
Now that is a thing of beauty! You find that in some dark hollow? Bet you could get a nice english longbow from that, maybe 2 OR 3. Nice piece!

Yes, that is nice!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 07:58:40 pm »
Pearl you want a clean board?

I would gladly take one if your offering Brian. Thanks. I have a piece of hickory I could use, or bamboo.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 12:59:00 pm »
Yep, found it back in a thick swamp. There was 4 or 5 but I only had time to cut one. it took me an hour to get it down out of the other trees after I cut it. It wouldn't fall. And I was planning an ELB.

Hmmmmmm..... Sounds a little sneaky to me! Haha!! That is a sweet chunk!
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »
Sweet piece there Eddie..........   get to shaving I want to see the ELB you pull out of that one :)

That's a rare stave!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 01:37:05 pm »
This isnt a selfbow, and ERC has a tough time handling any type of tension on the back.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 01:48:45 pm »
your point?

Offline autologus

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 02:38:50 pm »
Good clean ERC is very hard to come by whether in stave or board form.  If you can find it you sure have something.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 04:45:04 pm »
your point?

The real way to test a woods strength is to make an unbacked bow from it. It seemed you were trying to prove ERC is valuable as a bow wood but you backed it with maple. That's all. I have tried ERC before and i won't again.

Nice bow.

Take care.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:27 pm »
<snip>The real way to test a woods strength is to make an unbacked bow from it.<snip>

There is a fallacy at work here.  All an unbacked bow proves is that the wood has adequate properties in the realm of tension strength to make a bow.  This is an important test, ...but it is only one area of "strength" to consider relative to the value of a bow wood.  There would seem to be many more properties of a particular species of wood to consider.   ...like compression strength, elasticity, density or mass to capacity ratios, fiber or grain pattern, ...etc.

OneBow

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 05:31:05 pm »
[

The real way to test a woods strength is to make an unbaked bow from it.

and there was a lone gunman and Anna Nicole married for love ::) ;D
I know you can make a unbacked epe bow but most wouldn't, when you can get a screamin' bow buy backing it with boo, so epe is a second tier wood?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 06:21:31 pm »
Someone send me a clear 70 inch stave, and I will prove you wrong! :laugh:

Offline Josh B

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2013, 06:40:02 pm »
Lol!  No doubt you could easily prove that wrong, but its hardly necessary.  If the search function worked better, there are already plenty examples of erc self bows on this forum alone.  John McPherson has been training special forces in Advanced survival training for quite a few years and part of the curriculum is for every student to make a survival bow with nothing more than a field knife.  The only wood they use...... unbacked erc limbs.  Most of these operators have never made a bow in their life.  It's not that hard to do and it doesn't require a seventy inch perfectly clean stave.  It does however, require you to leave your yellow wood mentality behind.  I love osage, but I believe it has spoiled a lot of bowyers that try to make an Osage bow out of lesser woods.  It just don't work, most of the time anyway.  BTW, beautiful bow Brian!  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 06:49:51 pm »
Just to be clear, I'm not accusing anyone in particular of having a yellow wood mentality.  I meant that part in a more general application.  Josh