Author Topic: ERC BOW  (Read 10072 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

ERC BOW
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »
So, I post this for pearlie I want to see him talk nice about ERC, and BUILD A KILLER BOW FROM IT! So stats 68 long I think if I were to do it again, I would stay around 66. 1 3/4 at fades, purple heart handle build up with some other wood I can't remember I built this bow some ten yrs ago..... anyway 55@28 maple backing. I was building quite a few cedar bows for a while yrs back, and really like the wwod "if" you can find it realtilively clean, I still have clean boards of it today.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: ERC BOW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 09:36:20 pm »
Amazing bow. Also amazing that you have boards of clean erc, :). How do you feel about a erc board bow with a bunch of knots in it, backed with something like hickory?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:21:51 pm »
Sweet!!!! Is that rattler backing?
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:26:21 pm »
Amazing bow. Also amazing that you have boards of clean erc, :). How do you feel about a erc board bow with a bunch of knots in it, backed with something like hickory?

You know I really don't know how I feel about it, because I was trying to build bows for other people, and therefore I always tried to get as near perfect wood as possible......for myself I thought it would be a challenge, and had considered it, but I live so far away from a hardwood store now I just never got a knotty piece I would try it in a heartbeat though!(it would look cool in my opinion) One more thing this was a billet glue up, and it is easier to find clear shorter pieces than full length boards.

Yes, rattler backed, osage limb tip overlays.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 11:31:59 pm »
That's beautiful! I have a few clean boards of erc, I know a guy who makes furniture from it and he has hundreds of lumberized board he'll sell. I might have to try one like that now. How do you think it would hold up under hickory?
SW Utah

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:35:16 pm »
Not a problem, I think I would keep it to 3/16 or even thinner to not add any undue weight, but I have also backed it with bamboo again thin!

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:47:44 pm »
Sweeet bow! But how do u think ERC would do as a self bow? It seems like all erc bows i see have a backing, probably with good reason lol  ???
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:04:45 am »
Zion,

I think it is bowyer skill 80%. 20% picking the right piece and carefully evaluating what that particular piece can handle. A lot of new bowyers will try to force "their" needs based on past experience with other woods rather that letting the wood dictate what "it" needs. I suggest any bowyer to overbuild a bow, especially if they have not worked it before.....when you get a feel for the wood do what you think it will take. Mine is backed because I am on the west coast and can't cut my own.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 12:09:37 am »
Beautiful bow and I think you're right "CLEAN" makes ERC alot more user friendly. I have an ERC ELB that really shoots well but it came from a "CLEAN" near perfect stave.

Great bow!!! 
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline gpw

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 08:57:21 am »
 We’ve used the knotty stuff, just as it came from the harvested  tree (small knots ) with no problems .... and we used the typical thin Hickory backing ...   Made Great shooters ... Good cast , Light in hand !!!   All mine were “man tall” ... made to shoot heavy “logs” ...  ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 09:32:22 am »
Very nice bow Brian. I would attempt an ERC selfbow if I had the stave. I wont go looking to cut any as I only want one. I havent seen any around me yet I would want to harvest, 99.9% are knotted up messes it seems. I guess a splice would be a better bet? 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gpw

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 11:13:43 am »
PD, easier to find a good ERC “board"   ... (heresy)  ::)   hahahahaha   :laugh:

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 11:21:45 am »
Nice bow! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 04:30:31 pm »
Pearl you want a clean board?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 04:42:56 pm »
How's this for a clean stave of ERC? ;D I've been sitting on this piece of wood since 2006. There isn't even a pin knot in it.

Brian, that bamboo backed ERC you sent me a long time ago is still shooting fine.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?