Author Topic: Wood dilemma (problem solved :D)  (Read 3677 times)

Offline KShip85

Wood dilemma (problem solved :D)
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:53:30 pm »
I've been watching a local roadside that has several Osage trees growing on it that has been staked out for the new interstate that's going in soon.  Just got a call from my dad who had driven by and seen the trees had been cut and are laying on the ground.  I would head out and ask the cutters if they mind if I take some but I'm watching my two year old daughter all day and can't make it out there.  Hope it avoids the chipper long enough for me to make it out there  :-\

Kip
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:07:09 pm by KShip85 »
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline bow101

Re: Wood dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 04:07:38 pm »
... ::) ::) ::)  hopefully it works out for you. The thought of that chipper sitting their is just maddening, Hey pull the coil wire off the engine..just a thought.. >:D >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:08:41 pm »
take her for a ride man, it's possible that if ya catch the workers out there they may buck it up for ya for a case of beer, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 04:14:18 pm »
take her for a ride man, it's possible that if ya catch the workers out there they may buck it up for ya for a case of beer, bub

BINGO!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 04:27:12 pm »
That's right!  Kids need to learn where their bow wood comes from.   ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »
 ;D  There is no doubt you have to be Johnny on the spot. Case in point my neighbour down the road cut down a huge maple in his yard last year, well me not thinking he also trimmed the Dogwood beside it outside the fence, and yes he lopped off some nice size limbs at 3-4 inches round.  Dogwood is our provincial flower, making it an offence to cut it down.. ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 05:04:31 pm »
I was thinking the same thing, why not take her? I had my kids with me LOTS of times cutting wood. ???
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 05:17:05 pm »
;D  There is no doubt you have to be Johnny on the spot. Case in point my neighbour down the road cut down a huge maple in his yard last year, well me not thinking he also trimmed the Dogwood beside it outside the fence, and yes he lopped off some nice size limbs at 3-4 inches round.  Dogwood is our provincial flower, making it an offence to cut it down.. ::)

exactly my thoughts, I jumped in the truck two weeks ago to run uptown, get to the end of the street and they are trimming a mulberry, stopped and asked and they cut it to length for me, just had to load it up, heck they even helped load it, plus when I told'em I built bows the gal said she had an old Vietnamese bow and arrows do I want to see them, then she gave them to me, big time score, just gotta stop and talk some, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KShip85

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 06:08:17 pm »
Well, I made it out and tracked a guy down in a big cutting rig and he said I can get some so long as no one is working in site.  Liability issues probably.  Looks like I'll get out there tomorrow or Sunday afternoon and get a few truck loads if I can.  Not sure how many great pieces there are but there is more there than I first realized so I should be able to find something worth using.  Only down side is the way it is now is in big brush piles so it'll be more work to wrestle out.  Oh well, I could use a good workout :)

Kip

Offline Lemos

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 08:49:32 pm »
2 is old enough to pack a stave or two, isn't it?   >:D

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 08:51:56 pm »
Get a sitter.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 09:44:36 pm »
If its between b town and Nashville I can help Sunday after noon ;D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:13 pm »
I'd scout it out for length first. Those guys have been over here to the east and they short cut most of it. That's all right away and Sundays are a great time to pick it over ;D good luck and hope they left some long ones for you!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline KShip85

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 01:56:18 am »
Ozzy, it's over on the south side of Bloomington, just off 37 south.  If you're interested let me know.  Looks like some gnarly stuff but there is bound to be a bow or two in there somewhere :).

Tracy, drove by and so far it's just been cut at the base and piled up.  They had this wicked looking rig with some arms to grab the trees and like a 5 foot diameter 3" thick carbide tipped blade cutting the trees off close to the base.  That's a piece of machinery I wouldn't mind trying out sometime!

Kip

Offline KShip85

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 02:50:01 pm »
Well, not sure how many bows are in here but there's a decent amount of work getting these things in the truck by myself.  I need to get some bow guys near me to split the work/spoils with.  Off for another load.

Kip