Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

backstrap sinue

(1/2) > >>

chessieboy:
I was cutting up a deer the other day and was having a difficult time getting the backstrap sinue off.  I was going to post on here to find any hints. Before I had time to get on the computer I wanted to freezer pack the deer up.  Recently I started par-freezing my deer prior to vacuum sealing it up.  I find it easier to seal, this way the sealer doesn't suck all the juice out of the meat. Anyway back to the subject, I started cutting the back strap up into portions. When I made my cut I started from the side opposite to the sinue. I left just a little bit uncut at the sinue side, bent the strap in half and the sinue peeled right off. I think the key to this is that the backstrap wasn't completely frozen just til the meat was firm not a solid brick.
Anyone else have any other hints at removing the sinue? Hope this helps anyone getting started.

Bill

Hillbilly:
I usually take them off before I cut the backstraps off the deer-just work a dullish knife blade between the sinew and meat enough to get fingers in there, and ease it off. I have also cut it off the backstraps after removing them by using a fillet knife, same way you skin a fish fillet. I might have to try the semi-freezing thing you mentioned.

Justin Snyder:
I cut the backstrap of and lay it down on the table with the sinew side down.  Then I just take a sharp knife and start it between the meat and sinew. Once it is started I lay the knife flat with the table and slide it down the piece.  Its works great, just like filleting a fish.  Justin

Pappy:
I do about like justin and then just lay it flat meat side up and scrap the meat off the sinew.GregB does it like Hillbilly,Either way works fine. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]

John K:
Pappy, Do you wash the sinew after you have it scrapped or do you dry it as it is  ???

Thanks FB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version