Author Topic: My first quiver  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
My first quiver
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:50:18 am »
So now that Ive been making decent arrows of dogwood, and a decent bow from Oak finishing up I wanted to get a quiver going. I managed to find a fur pelt that I like but needs adjustment. I want the face and tail to be away from me facing out. I need to add leather to it to make it work and dont really want to sew it in anyway. Is there a glue I can use to fasten the extra leather to the hide and extend it over my shoulder?
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Scowler

Re: My first quiver
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:33:08 am »
I've used Barge Cement for glueing leather with good results.

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:12 am »
If you do not want to sew your parts together, I would recommend super glue. If ya ever glued your fingers to gether ya know what I mean. It works on leather same as your skin. I think it would also be pretty much water proof as well.  Just make sure ya got skin to skin, even if you have to "shave" some hair to get it.

You may want to think about sewing though, makes a more "authentic" look. Just the old mans opinion.
rich

Offline Stalkingfox

• Not all those who wander lost. _J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Innerfield
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:20:36 am »
I just dont want the stitches to show is all.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:27:41 pm »
You could also use lace.  Less holes-per-inch, and can look quite nice when finished.  You can just punch a hole every inch or so and do a running stitch along the seam.  Just another option for ya. :)

I suspect you would go through a lot of super glue before you got it glued up.  Leather soaks it up like a sponge, and when it's dry the joint is very crusty and brittle.  If I was to glue it, my first choice would be some type of contact cement, or even the white glue you used in grade school :)  You could test on some scrap pieces before you commit, to decide for yourself what works best.