Author Topic: Steam and yew?  (Read 9553 times)

Offline Roy

Re: Steam and yew?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »
Cut it in half at the handle and make another take down, Pearly.. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:38:36 pm »
Roy its not worth the gamble to spend the time and money on it. Wrong kind of wood for me to gamble with.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:46 pm »
if you are trying to bend it in handle region I would guess its gonna tale longer than 45 min of steam...hour and a half

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »
The handle is 1 x 1 3/8.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 05:30:19 pm »
One of the very first yew bows I made I steamed the living daylight out off and it turned a twiglet into straight bow.
Took forever but worked great.

Offline DQ

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 06:54:08 pm »
Great bowyer's anthem, blackhawk.  I'll bet Beyonce could lip-sync it.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »
Its the east coast bowyers anthem.  I proudly secede from that union.  >:D

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Roy

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 12:06:43 am »
Poor Osage King can't fix it and Chicken Hawk can't tell ya how to either?:)

Nearly everything I know about building a good bow I learned from somebody else.

Time to go back to school, Pearly Boy..

Yew might not be orange in color, but it's better wood than that Osage crap.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:29:00 am by Roy »

Offline bcbull

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 12:13:48 am »
Agree with ya 100% roy yews nbr 1 osage 2 lol brock

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 12:20:17 am »
I have never worked in Osage or Yew.  But I know a few thigns from reading and general wood work.  Not all Yew is the same.  Yew has been a premium bow wood for centuries. 

Yew is behind the loss of nearly a whole generation of French nobility (what ever that means).  It made deadly bows on a comercial scale.  There is a reason it is so expensive. 

So rather than blaming the species perhaps look at the piece or the operator :o.  My guess is that you need to add more steam time and possbily more heat. 

Steaming the middle will mean that you are loosing heat as it is drawn out to the ends.  That will need to be compensated for by time.
There is probably more mass at the handle then out at the ends.  That will need to be compensated for by time.
The design of your steam box may be inefficient.  I read some articles about using PVC becasue it's a better insulator than wood ones or metal ones.  I'd say try to find some urethane board? 

Or try the wet shirt and tin foil method.  Personaly I'd want to make sure I got even heat and steam all around and could quickly get it where it needed to be and bending.

I recently watched a video on Nova about rebuilding the pharo's chariot.  The long gooseneck section was breaking when they tried to bend it to match the curves in exibited originals.  They extending the time in the steam oven to 6 hours (I think) and it worked.

I'd say if you are steaming 45 min.. try 2 hours, get it HOT, use alot of steam. 

Don't give up but don't get stupid.  Step away from it till you can remain objective and you aren't mad at it.

Just my $.02.

Offline Roy

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 12:25:30 am »
Yup Brock.. Osage is ok, nearly bullet proof. Any young kid can make an Osage bow and think they are a Bowyer. But give those kids a Yew stave and they can't even get the handle straight??? LMFAO

Offline bow101

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 12:33:44 am »
Could you cut the bow in the center, shave it flat and splice it. If it ends up thin then just build up the riser section.  My 2 bits........ ::) ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 01:39:03 am »
Yup Brock.. Osage is ok, nearly bullet proof. Any young kid can make an Osage bow and think they are a Bowyer. But give those kids a Yew stave and they can't even get the handle straight??? LMFAO

Hey now, lets play nice.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 04:28:34 am »
I've had the same prob with one piece of Yew springing back so I changed from steam to dry heat, did a tad of tempering along with the bend to make sure it was hot enough and left it clamped for 3 days (that's 3 cat days, which is about 2 of your human days). That did the trick.
I've been doing my bonkers bow and I did correct a bend in the handle of that but I narrowed it first to about 1" and heated the heck out of it, I had foil behind it to direct the heat all round the grip and kept at it until it was getting pretty brown, still took two goes, and it was bent on the jig a good bit past where I needed it to end up.
Bottom line is. .. not hot enough through to the core of the wood and only time and temperature will do that...
Del
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:18:00 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 06:20:04 am »
If it's bending back you haven't used enough heat - simple!!
Yew will heat bend like a dream....if you do it right.
I would steam it for 1 hr per inch thickness.
Clamp past where you want it then give the area a good heating with a heat gun.
Remember steam is just a medium to transfer heat just like the air from a heat gun.