Author Topic: Help On My Tillering  (Read 7690 times)

tradrick

Help On My Tillering
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:32:45 pm »
I'm working on my wife's red oak board bow this morning.I've started the tillering process and am trying to take it slow.And I'm being sure to excercise the limbs about 30 times in between scrapings.The pic below is were she's at now with the long string.This is about 10'' worth of limb travel and about 25'' worth of actual draw length with the long string.I wanted to see how some of you folks thought my tiller is looking?And do you think I'm ready for the short string at a low brace height?The bow is 64''tip to tip and 62''NTN.i'M SHOOTING FOR ABOUT 30#@25''.Thanks for any help.tradrick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Help On My Tillering
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:01:29 pm »
You are pulling it too far. 10 inches of string travel  is quite enough at this point. You need  more bending close to the handle and more bending mid limb on. Check my site for a build along or 2. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

tradrick

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:18:01 pm »
Thanks Jawge,I'll take some off in the mentioned areas,and post another pic later.tradrick

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:36:31 pm »
   Like Jawge said,it needs to bend closer to the handle.You are not far from hinging it in the right limb.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

a finnish native

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 04:18:35 pm »
you need to get it bending from midlimb and on. and If you ask my opinion you could lose the handle or at least half of it's thickness.

tradrick

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 06:23:36 pm »
Well I've been at for a little while.I'm not sure its any better or not.Getting this tillering down pat is the most diffcult part for me.I have to learn to develop a eye for it.I had help with my osage bow but this is my first solo.I've got the bow at full brace which is about 51/4''.Its shown at 24'' draw.It whent from 62''NTN to 58''NTN because I took way to much wood off when I was roughing it out.The handle was left big for ease of sitting on the tillering tree.It will be wittled down at the end and a arrow shelf cut in.It will wind up being one of my daughters since the weight and length had dropped.Do you think I still need more at the handle?tradrick

Offline rebelrecurve

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 07:44:06 pm »
Still way too stiff off the fades.  The limbs should start bending at the fades and bend in a graceful arc almost to the tips (the way I do it anyways).  What I see with your bow is stiff fades, a sudden hinge like bend, then stiff through the midlimb to the tips.  I'd suggest getting your hands on the Bowyer's Bible vol 1, the chapter on tillering has excellent photos of various tiller profiles. Just my 2 cents, but I'm no expert.  It'll come with practice so keep at it! Good luck.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 08:09:22 pm »
You have to get the whole outter two thirds of the limbs to bend some too. Very straight, I would do as other suggest. Get some books....read Ferrets Archery Webpages and George Tsoukalas" website to see what proper tiller looks like and start another bow.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:12:31 pm »
It just looks like it is bending farther in the same areas.  Gearge was refering to the fade areas, even closer to the handle than what you have. Stay away from the areas between the red lines and work over the areas between the green lines.  The fades and outer limbs could bend a lot more.  Justin 

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

tradrick

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 10:59:43 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice guys.I did'nt think I would have a problem like I am.But thats the difference between reading books and websites and making shaveings.I have the books mentioned and have the websites mentioned added to my favorites and refer to them on a regular basis.Its just putting what I've learned into action.So thanks for the help I'll work on it more tomorrow and post more pics.At least this bow is a good lesson in tillering.tradrick

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 01:56:42 am »
   Looking at the pictures again,Is there a shelf on your tillering tree? It looks like you have one coming out from the handle.If so ,get rid of it.It goes out too far.It also keeps you from seeing the bend out of the handle area.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Beleg813

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 10:47:39 am »
   Looking at the pictures again,Is there a shelf on your tillering tree? It looks like you have one coming out from the handle.If so ,get rid of it.It goes out too far.It also keeps you from seeing the bend out of the handle area.

It definitely looks like it Mullet. But, after staring at the picture for a bit I believe it's the board that has "anchored" the tillering tree to the support wood in the attic.

tradrick

Re: Help On My Tillering (updated)
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16:26 pm »
I worked on it some this morning.I went ahead and cut in the arrow rest and shaped the handle,then went back to try and fix my many tillering mistakes.I did have 2 or 3 places were it was trying to hinge.I think I got them all worked out.I also got it bending more towards the handle.Tell me what you think.tradrick

P.S. my tillering tree is a landscape timber anchored to the wall of my shop with 2 2x4 blocks about 24''long.There is a 2x4 block about 5'' long nailed to the landscape timber for the bow to rest on.After hearing Mullet's advice I changed it out with the narrowest piece of scrap wood I had.Thanks Again

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 01:43:45 pm »
It's looking much better. Still needs to bend more in to the fade outs.  Right limb appears a bit stronger. Use a scraper now and exercise the stave at partial draws 20-30 times. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

tradrick

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 02:09:56 pm »
Thanks Jawge,I believe I'll leave it alone and some it up as a leason learned.I've already had to take off so much wood to fix all my mistakes that its turned into a 10# kids bow.But thats ok I've got a buddy who's got a 3 year old son that'll love it.And it gives me a good excuse to get started on another one right away.Between you fine gents and this little bow it helped show me what to look for and how to get there.So maybe the next one will be alot better.Thanks for all your input.tradrick