Author Topic: Mora Erik Frost drawknife?  (Read 4524 times)

Offline TacticalFate

Mora Erik Frost drawknife?
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:39 am »
I'm in the market for a drawknife for chasing rings, as I've just collected my first batch of black locust. I was wondering if anybody has or has used the Mora Erik Frost 220 woodsplitting knife as a drawknife. It seems quite a bit more multi-purpose than a traditional drawknife, since the straight handles mean you can use it as a scraper, too. Or, should I just get a traditional drawknife off ebay?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:58:28 am by Pat B »

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Mora Erik Frost drawknife?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:50:10 am »
I have that drawknife and I can't recommend if it is going to be your only drawknife.  I find the straight handles don't allow you any leverage, and so the blade wants to catch and spin rather than pull through the wood. The flexible blade works well for cleaning up the back around knots and such, but it is not much for taking off lots of wood in a hurry.  That is just my opinion.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline gianluca100

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:54:07 am »
you mean this one?

http://www.a mazon.com/Mora-Frost-220-Woodsplitting-Knife/dp/B004GAZFIW

I bought it years ago and didn't use it much because I came to prefer this form:

http://de.ac ademic.ru/dic.nsf/dewiki/1552926

With that one you can cut into the earlywood and lift the growth ring above it with the leverage of the angled handles.
Plus the mora is flexibel and the other one rigid, a plus imo.

But you have to test and decide what you prefer...

Ciao,
gian-luuca
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:49:57 am by Pappy »

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:50:19 am »
To cut down BL rings I would recommend you something heavier, like the one gianluca suggested. I think it is quite a forceful job, and the "lifting" motion helps a lot (but take care not to dent in the back  :o )
Don't shoot!

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:26:16 am »
Thanks guys, guess I'll go with a standard drawknife

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:35:35 pm »
TF

I was having trouble finding a drawknife that I liked that was not too expensive and I found a nice one on ebay ended up getting it for $24.00 with shipping. It is an older one but looks to be in great shape and appears to be very sturdy which appealed to me.

Clifford
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

youngbowyer

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:14:55 pm »
I have that drawknife and use it almost exclusively for chasing rings. I just knocked of the handles and put on new handle that are perpendicular to the blade.

Offline dbb

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:14 pm »
I have one of those Moraknives as well,the thin blade is prone to take more than intended when you use more than a little force.
For light work they are very good and as a scraper on a flat belly it is perfect.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...