Author Topic: concave pyramid?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline k-hat

concave pyramid?
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:19:28 pm »
I been contemplating over different designs in my noggin and was thinking about doing several hickory pyramids from boards in a couple weeks.  As i planned it out in my think tank i recalled that my pyramids always end up stiff midlimb after roughing out and the tillering is primarily done there.  So i started wondering if i did exclusively side tillering and no thickness tillering, it might come out with a cool concave curve on both limbs, and it struck me i haven't seen this.  It seems it would be much lighter and therefore faster.

What about y'all?  ever tried it? What are you're experiences and thoughts?

My only concern would be how much width you'd have midlimb with such a design.

(just edited, realized i used convex when i meant concave!)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:25:53 pm by k-hat »

blackhawk

Re: concave pyramid?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:50:29 pm »
Tim Baker calls it the Eiffel tower taper...he has made several like this and a few of different variations of it pictured in tbb 3 and tbb 4......as long as you start out wide enough at the fade and tiller it correctly you'll be fine....but I wouldn't make a pyramid and then only side tiller to get the same effect...cus it won't be. Its better to not make the concave taper until past mid limb in most cases

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:14 pm »
I'll have to look back at those.  I got TBB3 for christmas and haven't torn through it yet, so i'm sure i just missed it.

I see what you're saying about just side tiller, guess that's not what i really meant.. more "begin with the end in mind" kind of mindset.  I wonder if i thoroughly temper the belly to increase compression to make up for the loss of width, might it come out better than a straight taper with mild tempering.   

Thanks again BH, i'll take a look at my books this evening.  Still hope to hear if anyone has tried a full length concave taper.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:33:10 pm »
Page 88 tbb3 ....pgs. 120-125 tbb4