Author Topic: tiller check please  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Josh B

tiller check please
« on: February 25, 2013, 11:46:00 pm »
I'm workin on a piece of Hackberry that Blackhawk hooked me up with that has some character wiggle in the upper limb.  This wiggle is screwing with my eyes something fierce!  It probably don't help that I'm tillering in a truck stop after dark without so much as a tillering stick.  It was 50#@27" earlier.  But it wasnt anywhere near tillered properly.  Its a bout 45#@28" now which was what I was shooting for.  So, any suggestions would be welcome.  That wiggle is driving me nuts!  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:50:13 pm »
Josh, it looks pretty good. A few stiff spots but that could be the squiggle in the limb. Try looking at it through squinted eyes so you eliminate the detail but still see the outline. Sometimes this is the only way I can get a good picture of the limb if it has squiggles and other such oddities.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 11:57:36 pm »
That whoop-di-do is in a tough spot, they mess with my eyes too when theyre in the middle of the limb like that.  Your tiller looks good to me, I'd sand it and call it good.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:11:45 am »
A way that I check the bend in a squiggly area is to draw a line with a straight edge down the length of each limb when it's unbraced. Then brace the bow and hold the straight edge up to the lines you drew. the line will show the true bend of the area regardless of the squiggles. It really helps put mind mind at ease when i'm tillering a bow like that. I combine that with Pat's squinty eyes and I also try to trust my fingers feeling the taper. With those three things together I figure i get close enough for horse grenades.  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:33 am »
Weylin is shooting you straight, Josh.  I get the feeling that whoopty in the upper limb is just fine. 

Looks great, buddy, I think you got a winner there.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:49:57 am »
Thanks for the borrow of your tiller eye and mind fellas!  Poured me a jack and coke lit me a stogie and relaxed my eyes a bit. Now that I've cleared up my perspective, It looks to me like I need a smidgen more bend in the upper limb, but its close enough that I'll leave it alone until I can shoot it and see how she feels.  Thanks again,  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:28:55 am »
It looks no good and shuld be sent to me to dispose of  >:D looks close ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 06:51:16 am »
Looks good to me ,but I would say you are right on the little more on the top limb
a few inches from the fads to about the wiggle. :) Cool looking bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:09:33 am »
The unbraced pic says it all.  8)
I would imagine if you had it wrong it would be yelling "set" around the wobbly area.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:07:24 am »
Yup..I agree...just a smidgen more off the top.....I was shooting in a hackberry last night and popped a splinter  >:(  hope yours turns out better

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 10:11:49 am »
Looks pretty good to me.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 11:38:22 am »
Thanks fellas!  I do appreciate the help!   Thank you for the stave Chris!  I hope it don't pop a splinter on me!  I only have two weeks before I need it for that school.  Thanks again,  Josh

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 03:59:52 pm »
Hey Josh did you get that hat?

Scott

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 04:03:04 pm »
Not yet, but I pm'd Marie and I think one is on the way.  Josh

Stringman

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »
Ok well let me know if you need me to send this one out. Otherwise, it will meet you at the classic.

Scott