Author Topic: cedar bow??  (Read 6485 times)

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
Re: cedar bow??
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 10:27:35 pm »
I was just figuring to make a bendy handle stump shooter, if I don't back it. Just a play bow really for starters. Then maybe upgrade the next one to somethin that would be worth doin somthing with.
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline gpw

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 11:11:05 am »
 You know , a quickie Dog Chew rawhide backing would work and is pretty easy ...!!!

Offline coaster500

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 12:32:23 pm »
Howdy Yall. Got a question. What kinda weight could I expect to get out of a cedar self bow? Also, wanting to make a cedar kids bow too for my grandaughter. It'll have to be a easy one for her to learn with. Any ideas?

This one is rawhide backed and 51@27 but I've seen much heavier bows using ERC..........  as said in another thread a clean knot free piece is hard to come by but sure make the job allot easier ..........

This bow is still shooting like a champ :)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31792.0.html

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline bigpapa

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 12:46:29 pm »
That's a sweet one coaster.  ;D
So how do I make the rawhide stick to the back of the bow?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 12:52:06 pm »
Here is a Quote from Pat.... explains it much better than me...  I use goat rawhide on mine  :)

"It is just like applying snake skin. I guess you haven't done that either.
  A lot depends on how thick the rawhide is. With deer rawhide I soak it in warm water while I'm prepping the bow. Clean the back of the bow put down a thin layer of Glue(I like TBIII glue) and let the glue set. When the raw hide is soft and pliable roll it up in a towel to remove the excess water, lay it flat and apply the glue to the flesh side and another layer to the bows back. Lay the rawhide down from the handle to the tip and work out the air bubbles and excess glue. I prefer to use 2 pieces of rawhide overlapped at the handle. If the rawhide is pliable enough it will drape over the limb and no wrap is necessary. If it doesn't lay well I use old bed sheets ripped into 2" wide strips to wrap it. After it has set for an hour or so I will remove the wrap, trim the excess rawhide with a razor blade from the edges(while it is still soft). Now let the bow sit in a dry area so the moisture in the glue will evaporate. I like to give it 3 days to a week , depending on the weather.
   If you allow the first coat of glue to cure out completely(24hours) first, and you are using TBIII, it will help keep most of the moisture out of the wood thus making the drying time shorter.
  Once it is completely dry you can dress up the edges with a file and sandpaper on a block. Add your regular finish the way you normally do. "
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline bigpapa

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 12:57:17 pm »
Awesome, thanks.  Been thinkin and figure maybe just make a backed one for my grandaughter for safety sakes. Yall think it would have a light enought pull for her?

Offline coaster500

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 12:59:34 pm »
Keep scraping until it does :)

Offline bigpapa

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 08:41:48 pm »
Will do.  :D I believe its gonna be just as fun making it for her as it will be showing her how to shoot it.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 09:14:37 pm »
Here is the first HBERC I made. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36767.0.html it is still shooting and is one of my favorites to shoot.
>>>---------->