Author Topic: Finishes  (Read 1129 times)

Offline cutty

Finishes
« on: April 05, 2018, 10:49:17 pm »
Can you put a coat of shellac inbeween coats of spar erethane to get a better shine?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:00:42 pm »
The outside surface is where the shine comes from, light reflecting from a smooth surface.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:03:50 pm »
Best to stick to one choice of material.  If you layer different types of finishes, they can debond from each other and flake off.  Don't ask how I know this.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:38:57 pm »
how do you know this?  (sorry, couldn't help myself) )-w( :D

Offline cutty

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 12:07:28 am »
Shellac would be a poor last coat, wouldn’t it? As far as moisture barrier?

Offline Julian

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 01:16:48 am »
Shellac would be a poor last coat, wouldn’t it? As far as moisture barrier?

you might look into french polishing with shellac. time consuming but by applying successive coats diluted with alcohol, and sanding the high spots each time, you can get a very attractive shine. Then perhaps finish with spray urethane, to seal.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 01:19:12 am »
Shellac is used as a "base coat" sometimes.  Most finishes will stick to it.  Im not sure about the other way around.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 02:30:07 am »
A base coat of real tung oil will help make the grain pop and glow.  I've been real pleased with a couple of coats of tung oil thinned 50% with mineral spirits, let dry for a few days between coats, then varnish over the top.  Not to be confused with tung oil "finish" like Formby's (recommend reading up on tung oil, pros and cons,  and how to apply first). 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 08:58:47 am »
If you want shine I would suggest Minwax wipe on gloss poly. Its a mirror after 3-4 coats on a well prepared surface. My advice is to keep in mind what finishes are oil/rub in and what are surface treatments. You don't want a finish that is meant to be rubbed into wood over top of a surface finish like poly or urethane. But, the opposite works fine. Oil rubbed in first, then a surface treatment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.