Author Topic: How thick for bamboo?  (Read 970 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

How thick for bamboo?
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:02:55 pm »
Hi guys Im thinking of making a few bamboo backed bows, and some yumi type bows. i was just wondering for those of you who have more experience making laminates, what thickness do you prefer your backings to be? I know it will depend on the length but give me a ball park, what thickness do you prefer to start of with?
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Roy

Re: How thick for bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:13:52 pm »
1/8th at the handle, tapered to 1/16th at the tips is what I want when ready to glue up. I start with a bamboo slat 2 inches wide, I run it over the jointer till it's flat along the entire back. Then I have a bow pattern made out of 1/8th thick wood that I lay across the flat side and clamp down straight. Then I trace that pattern onto the boo and cut it out with a band saw. I stay about 1/16th from the line when cutting out then get to the line with hand tools. After I'm to my line, I flip the flat side up on the bench and use hand tools to get my 1/8th to 1/16th taper.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:19:44 pm by Roy »

Offline burn em up chuck

Re: How thick for bamboo?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »
   cut bamboo to shape of bow, reduce thickness of bamboo so  that all perimeter edges are 1/16" to 1/8" thick. make sure the glue surface is as flat as possible, very important. If not flat bamboo could develop
longitudinal cracks. Not dangerous as long as its not on the edge. just ugly. very short version of Torges
method. Using this method, tapering (tillering bamboo) is done before glue up. hope this helps, I'm sure
 someone w/more experience will speak up

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club