Author Topic: Quick Drying  (Read 1353 times)

Offline bow101

Quick Drying
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:22 pm »
Anybody done much speedy wood drying.? I have done a couple saplings say after sitting for a month, debark and glaze it with a small blow torch. Seemed to work but that's the only method I tried.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:42:10 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dictionary

Re: Quick Drying
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:38 pm »
There needs to be a sticky or something about drying because this comes up a lot.

Rough those saplings out so they are bending a good bit at floor tiller. Dont narrow them at all to lessen the likelihood of warping. Notice i said lessen the likelihood. Some wood warps, some doesnt. The only way to guarantee it doesnt is to strap the wood down to something or put some weight on the wood. Set the roughed out peices inside where the humidity isnt too high. Depending on the humidity, they can be dry in less than a month or even 2 weeks.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Roy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 06:14:05 pm »
I let my saplings dry for 3 years at least. I think seasoned wood makes better bows... :) >:D LOL

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:39:03 pm »
There needs to be a sticky or something about drying because this comes up a lot.

Rough those saplings out so they are bending a good bit at floor tiller. Dont narrow them at all to lessen the likelihood of warping. Notice i said lessen the likelihood. Some wood warps, some doesnt. The only way to guarantee it doesnt is to strap the wood down to something or put some weight on the wood. Set the roughed out peices inside where the humidity isnt too high. Depending on the humidity, they can be dry in less than a month or even 2 weeks.

Thanks Diction, thats about what I came up searching..!

I let my saplings dry for 3 years at least. I think seasoned wood makes better bows... :) >:D LOL

I know we had a previous thread on this topic a while back. At any rate.....Is 3 years really the norm..? ???  :laugh:
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Roy

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:45:36 pm »
LOL I was just poking fun. I really don't know but it would be a good starting for seasoned wood. I myself am fine with the one year old wood.