Author Topic: Finally found the king  (Read 3966 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Finally found the king
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 01:59:01 pm »
I bet that big one was a load to lift by yourself, Im sure adrenaline helped a little as orange wood can really get that stuff flowing! Its amazing what a body can do in hopes of getting some nice bow wood.

Offline tanner

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »
@Okie64 - truth man. I wasn't feeling any pain at the time. I'm moving a little slow today though. :)

@Joec123able - yeah - there appears to be SOME bug damage but I'm not sure how deep it goes yet. The gentleman from the DNR that hooked me up with the log said he felled it last spring so it was on the ground almost a year.

@osage outlaw - I wasn't sure it was going to be enough saw, but it did a pretty good job. It's amazing how much longer it takes to cut through an osage log that's been on the ground for a year vs. mulberry limbs that have been on the ground only a few months.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 09:41:15 am »
Hey there, I think I might have been the guy that mentioned the wildlife preserve letting me cut black locust. Just called the closest state park office and wam bam I was in. Of course, my BL is home to a lot of bugs :'( but I still think I may get a few good staves.

Good job man!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 10:43:54 am »
This was a salvage job from a couple weeks ago.

I can't stress the importance enough of making a call or two to get permission to salvage or cut standing wood. Lots of karma involved in doing the right thing while obtaining bow wood.

When I called the street department about salvaging the above tree, I talked to a gruff sounding guy who was at first annoyed at my call. As I explained what wonderful wood osage was and how I would put it to use making bows  I could feel him brighten up. At the end of the conversation he laughed and said"man, get all of that tree you want".

There was a huge black locust underneath the osage tree that I left, just didn't need it. 

Offline tanner

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 10:54:46 am »
Nice haul! I have to admit that expected to get some early push-back when I sent the first email, but everyone I interacted with was really nice. I guess I see it like getting hunting permission. You just have to get over yourself and ask. Be good people and odds are that you'll get more yes's than no's.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 03:31:24 am »
Need see my psychiatrist: got osage envy, I guess...
Frank from Germany...

Offline tanner

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 11:54:40 am »
They didn't split out nearly as pretty as Eric's, but here they are:

Stacked next to my mulberry:

I've still got the big one to split out. Maybe I'll work on that one this afternoon...