Author Topic: New Here & Trying to post picts...  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Dalton Knapper

New Here & Trying to post picts...
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:18:03 pm »
So if this works, here are some points made from Crowley's Ridge Chert I collected near Wynne, Arkansas. The attachment method doesn't seem to work for me and claims I can only post up to 200K....that's awful small. Must be something wrong. So this is a direct Photobucket link. Anyway, there's a Dalton (of course), a corner notch, a square tem and a Nodina. The preview tells me this is successful.

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: New Here & Trying to post picts...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:29:15 pm »
Those are some sweet looking points how does that stuff knapp.
Rob

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:50:37 pm »
Thanks Rob. Crowley's Ridge is mean as hell raw, but sweet heat treated (as this stuff is). There is really no such thing as "Crowley's Ridge flint" because it is all Plestiocene gravels that came form Michigan (and other locales) on down to Arkansas and a little south. The archeologists have another name for it that escapes me, but glaciers and glacial streams carried it down here. This is all what I call the "peanut butter" colored stuff. Heat treated to 450 or so, it knapps like a dream., but is is TOUGH raw.  I like it. Few rocks are larger than a potato, but it is easily collected from Crow Creek in Madison, Arkansas. Let me know if any of you guys are coming through and I'll tell you where to look. There is an endless supply.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:35:06 pm »
Great work! Glad you got the post thing down. I use photobuckit works good.

Offline seider

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:26:15 pm »
I have some kin folks in heber springs we try and get up there atleast once a year i always try and come back with some rock going to try and get up that way this spring i hope i want to go back and float the buffalo if it has any water in it..
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:56:26 pm »
Very nice work and material DK.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:32:16 pm »
Welcome to PA! Great work, I love that CR! You ain't jokin bout it being some tough stuff :) I've never heated it before, cant wait to try that :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 04:34:33 pm »
Apparently you picked up the trick of posting pics as well as knapping rock.  Thanks for sharing those beauties.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:56:07 pm »
I have some kin folks in heber springs we try and get up there atleast once a year i always try and come back with some rock going to try and get up that way this spring i hope i want to go back and float the buffalo if it has any water in it..

I used to float the buffaloes every few years. Never found anything worth knapping. It is possible I was too focused on fishing.  ::) I love that river!!

Scott

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 10:18:07 pm »
Scott...you were definitely too focused on fishing. The Buffalo is loaded with knappable material and perfect soft hammer stone material. But....you aren't supposed to collect anything. ......................................