Author Topic: First Georgia bow  (Read 1470 times)

Offline ksnow

First Georgia bow
« on: February 23, 2013, 06:26:49 pm »
I finally got enough time to get this one tillered back to 28"  It is an ash board I brought down to GA with me.  It is my first bow using my new shaving horse, and I wish I would have built one sooner.  It is 73" tip to tip.  Pulls 48# at 28".  I am going to shoot it a bit more before I put a finish on it.  The tiller isn't perfect, I know I have a slight hinge in one limb, quite obvious when first unbraced.  Thanks for looking.

Kyle

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
Re: First Georgia bow
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 09:33:29 pm »
Nice job kyle. I'm also puttin the finishing touches to a ash as well and have a area about mid bottom limb that had a little swirl to the grain, as I was tillering that limb which was a little stiffer than I wanted, full length scraps (should have left it alone) it cryst and a slight over bend in about a 2" spot. I super glued that spot and scraped above and below and have shot 100 or so through it and so far so good. Did you heat treat the belly?

Offline ksnow

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:56:46 pm »
No heat treat at all, this was a simple, no frills bow.  I have thought about heat treating it, but would have to get a gun.  I am trying to keep my bow making simple for the time being.  I think the hinge is from early tillering, it isn't real clear when drawn, but is definitely there when unstrung.  I have another board of ash (the mate to this one), I am going to try a bit shorter, and wider.   This one is just over 1 1/2 inches at the handle, to about 12" from the nocks.

Kyle

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:01:42 pm »
Great job, my hats off to you.......... 8)

101 over and out
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 12:51:15 pm »
nice and simple.
you can also heat treat using a campfire ....drag out some coals, of course keep the back from any scorching.
I've actually gone back and heat treated a few of my first stave built bows, then after retillering and actually removing quite a bit of wood!  it's helped.
though i must say a heat gun is a pretty cool tool.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 01:13:45 pm »
Nice lookin bow Kyle!! Shoot the snout out of it!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:53:59 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys.  I do plan to just shoot this one, and enjoy it as it is.  Some day I will try heat treating, but right now I just enjoy saving boards from dull, boring lives as cabinetry, by turning them into simple, but effective bows.  I am on a longer bow kick right now, but all of those eastern woodlands bows have got me wanting to try one of them.  Maybe if I can get a nice little stave while I am in GA, I would try something Cherokee or Creek inspired.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:30:55 pm »
At least you see your error and know why and how you got it. That alone is worth the 7$ the board cost you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:51:06 pm »
I don't even think it was $7, I buy my boards rough sawn from a local mill.  They have an amazing variety of wood, and even help me look through bundle after bundle for straight grain.  "Oh, you're the guy that wants the boring boards."

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 10:25:53 pm »
Looks good! I do like a simple bow!  Josh

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 11:44:32 pm »
Looks like a shooter to me, good work!!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 11:47:24 pm »
Nice bow I love them simple. I just bought a heat gun, before that all my heat treating was done over the stovetop. ;)
SW Utah