Author Topic: Wormy stave help  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Wormy stave help
« on: February 21, 2013, 11:38:15 am »
I took a belly split off one of my nice worm eaten  :'( Osage staves and re- chased a ring. I roughed it out last night. It's fairly clean with a little snake and should make a nice bow. However, I did find two spots with small burrows. It may or may not come out as I thin the limbs on down. Can I clean out the worm tracks and patch it up? Maybe some sawdust and super glue? How do you guys deal with this? This wood was wormy standing, not infected while stored. I have sprayed it all down.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:36:43 pm by Gsulfridge »
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Wormy stave
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:22:10 pm »
Is it junk? :'(

Offline okie64

Re: Wormy stave help
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:17:17 pm »
Do the holes go straight down or did they go down and then tunnel sideways? I cany see them in the pic.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:27:00 pm »
They run sideways best I can tell. I'll get better pics showing the borer damage tonite.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:45:40 pm »
I'd recommend you to wait until tomorrow and take pictures in broad daylight. That garage with dim lighting is probably not going to deliver the best pictures. Capturing something as small and shallow as a worm track can be tricky. Set the camera in macro mode (the button with the small flower icon).

A worm track across the back is probably difficult to repair. It is THE place where a splinter can lift. You can try patching it with sinew or flax fibers, but just filling it with glue and sawdust is not a structural solution on the back of the bow. It would be on the belly, though. Chasing down another ring would be the best solution, as long as you can keep enough wood.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 02:54:36 pm »
I would fill them with good super glue and keep going. Its osage.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:00:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I work during the day so daylight pictures are out. My iPhone doesn't do macro but I think I can get better pictures of the damage tonite. The damage is on the belly.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 05:02:13 pm »
  I've did 3 things fill with saw dust ,super glue. Just forgot them if the poundage is'nt above 55 or so pounds and their not on a side. I also burnished the bow then went back with something small hard ,round and barnished each hole along the the rest of the bow.
  I should have said 4 things you can back it. And I have but very verty seldom back a bow. I mostly just forget about them.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:38 am »
Thanks crooketarrow, fortunately I removed it all as I thinned the limbs. No issue now unless I uncover more damage.