Author Topic: String silencer help  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Aries

String silencer help
« on: October 25, 2007, 10:39:03 pm »
  I love the look that string silencers give a bow. The problem is, all mine have turned up a little below average. I have looked through all my books about making bow strings and turned up nothin. So far my only technique has been to place a small square of rabbit fur "on the skin" through the string and secure it with a tight lashing of artificial sinew :-(. It does its job fine but doesn't have the look I am goin after. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                                                                                                                                  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String silencer help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:00:24 am »
The string silencers I have used are 1/4"X about 4" strip if hide with the fur still on. Tuck one end between the strands of the string, wrap it, skin side down, around the string and tuck the tag end between the strands like before. The twist of the string should hold it in place but you could serve it, at each end, to be safe.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jbell

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 12:04:51 am »
Piece of cake. If you have a rabbit fur draw a 1/4" wide by 4-5" rectangle out. Next you have to kind of stretch the fur out and cut this out with something real sharp, I use a razor blade.  Then find the point on the string that you want to start your silencer split your string in half and insert about a 1/4" of the end into to string and twist a little so that it holds. Now all you have to do is spiral the strip in the same direction your string twists ,barber pole like, when all you have is a 1/4" left split your string and slip it in. Just do not forget to adjust your brace heighth onece you have both silencers on by twisting the string. Hope this helps a little. You will be a pro in no time!
Justin Blunt

Offline Aries

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 12:41:31 am »
Thanks Guys! they looks much better, I just now waitin finishin up an osage flatbow i will post some pics when it is done.      Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow