Author Topic: Have some questions about making a 5 curve sinew backed juniper.  (Read 1651 times)

Offline dans89

Have some questions about making a 5 curve sinew backed juniper.
« on: February 20, 2013, 01:04:34 am »
Here in SW Co, he have an abundance of juniper, so this summer I am thinking about starting a sinew backed 5 curve juniper. From what I understand, juniper is difficult to shape, and is better done while still green.
I have seen the videos on youtube of the interviews with Ed Scott, and he says that he reflexes the stave and applies the sinew while its still green, and that he uses TBIII to apply sinew. My questions are, if I shape the stave using dry heat, and apply the sinew using his methods, will the stave hold it's shape? How long should I wait after reflexing to apply the sinew? How much of the reflex can I expect to lose through the curing process? To my understanding juniper is better suited for short bows, what would be the shortest length bow that could still give me around 50-55# at 27''?

Thanks in advance for all of your help, Dan

Offline Newindian

Re: Have some questions about making a 5 curve sinew backed juniper.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 01:43:18 am »
Juniper is very very easy to shape
If you want to reflex it while it's green use steam instead of dry heat. But if you used hide glue or gelatin you shouldn't need to
Q 1- generally yes but it depends on many factors mainly your skill as a bowyer
Q2- you could apply sinew as soon as the wood cooled if you wanted to
Q3- if you mean the curing of wood none, if you mean the curing of sinew you will gain reflex
Q4- this is a debatable question biased mainly on several other design questions how much sinew do you want to use, how much reflex, how wide do you want the bow?

Also juniper likes a D cross section
I like free stuff.

Offline dans89

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:18:12 am »
Thanks for the quick reply! Ideally, I would like to have the bow as short as possible. In the videos that I watched, Ed Scott said that he sinewed the staves while green, and let it all cure together. Are you saying that if I use hide glue instead of TBIII, that I won't have to heat in reflex, or that I can use dry heat instead on steam?

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:40:15 am »
 In the videos that I watched, Ed Scott said that he sinewed the staves while green, and let it all cure together.

Im gonna hafta watch that video again,but i believe you are mistaken on that point.This was not the case,when Ed gave me the rundown and showed me his process,in person.
There are others who i hear do it this way.

Offline dans89

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can find the video this afternoon after work.

Offline dans89

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:02:29 pm »
I can't find the original videos with Ed, so does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about curing the stave and sinew? Should it be done together, or separately?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:11:25 pm »
I don't see much benefit in curing them together aside from a little time benefit, maybe more reflex from floppy green wood.
. Are you saying that if I use hide glue instead of TBIII, that I won't have to heat in reflex, or that I can use dry heat instead on steam?
Green juniper is much easier to handle by steaming than dry heat
if you use TB the sinew will take a year to reflex, with hide glue it will take a month
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:16:03 pm by Newindian »
I like free stuff.

Offline dans89

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:36 pm »
Thanks again ;D Hid glue it is, I'll just plan on skinning it and sealing with polyurethane.