Author Topic: Osage deflex-reflex help  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Aries

Osage deflex-reflex help
« on: October 25, 2007, 10:28:29 pm »
  I`ve had an idea goin through my head for about a week now about makin an all wood osage deflex-reflex. I have looked aroung but haven't been able to find any tangible dementions about where to start the recurves or about a good length to go with. any dementions would be great.  I draw about 27" and an wanting the weight to be around 50.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Jbell

Re: Osage deflex-reflex help
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:28:28 am »
Are you talking about building a selfbow or a laminated all wood bow? If you are building a backed bow I would buy Torges' video"Hunting the bamboo backed bow". Quite a bit of info in that video that will get you started. My backed bow deminsions are usually 62-64" ntn, 11/4" to midlimb then tapering down to less that 3/8". This is plenty for your 27" draw.  I have never built a R/D selfbow but I am sure someone else could help you out with that. 
Justin Blunt

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 12:53:16 am »
 I plan on it being a self bow, I am yet to attempt making a laminated bow. I dont intend to mimic the severe angles displayed by fiberglass bows, but more gental waves that slightly reflect the same general on performance.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 03:33:21 am »
Hi All     Dementions?   Is that like demented, or just un mentioned?   Sorry, not helpful, just the first thought that came to me.  Reflex/  deflex bows are not my usual style so I can't add anything positive.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 08:24:28 am »
I am interested in hearing from some one also who has experience with an R/D self bow. I have tried it twice and keep ending up with a deflex/deflex bow. I haven't yet been able to keep any bend in wood. Driving me crazy.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:43:30 am »
I made this bow for Jamie a few years ago. The stave had some natural deflex in the middle which served for the handle and I used dry heat to shape the limbs, which were heat treated. The dimensions are here and would vary according to wood used http://marc.stoneflake.net/More%20Bows/Deflex%20Reflex%20HHB/
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 12:49:21 pm »
I usually put in a reflex about 8 inches from the tips. I use a heat gun and a vice. I grease up the stave, heat it until I can't touch it and slowly bend it in the vice. Multiple heatings may be needed. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!