Author Topic: mullberry question  (Read 1132 times)

Offline osagejack

mullberry question
« on: February 18, 2013, 05:29:07 pm »
I have a few staves laying around, just wandering what everyone thinks about?

Offline tanner

Re: mullberry question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:42:04 pm »
I have yet to make a successful bow (no0b disclaimer), but I have been reading/working at this for 9mo or so and so far I only have mulberry to work with. Here's what I've learned about it:

NOTE - I only have red mulberry so what I've read pertains mainly to it specifically, though it might be the same for some of the other mulberry types.

1. Splitting sux a LOT when it's wet. If you can leave it somewhere (ends sealed, bark sprayed with pesticide) to dry for a year before splitting - morebetter. If you must split it now - pack a lunch and don't screw up your axe handles like I did.

2. It's a great wood for bows - very close to the mythical osage orange in most respects, but not quite as hearty so be a little more conservative with your design than you might osage.

3. Like osage, it's mainly good for its heartwood, but it is possible to make a bow with the sapwood (I think I saw someone on here that had both sap and heart in their's)

4. No need to heat temper the belly.

5. Chasing a ring is your best bet - almost identical to osage.

That's about all I know right now. I also just finished making a couple of axe handles with it as well (yes, the same ones I boogered up splitting my first mulberry log). It's not quite Osage, but it seems close enough (from what I've read/seen) that you can follow mostly the same approach for making a bow.

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:58 pm »
I've only cut one mulberry, it was about 10 inches in diameter.  It was straight and split very easily green.  We'll see next year how the bow turns out...

Offline rps3

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:57:04 pm »
I have made 3 bows out of mulberry and it has been good by me.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:51:13 pm »
Treat it the same as you do your Osage.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:48 am »
make it at least 25 % wider for the same poundage bow or it will chrysal...just sayin...gut

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:00:12 am »
  Mullberry a cousin to OSAGE. I've made 6 or 7 mullberry bows and made them the same as O'sage bows.
  Mullberry makes a find bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:01:00 am »
I'd add 10% all the way around for the same weight as an osage bow. Mulberry makes a very good bow. After a few years it is difficult to tell the difference between osage and mulberry except for the physical weight. They both darken nicely to a chocolate brown color over time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:40:22 pm »
Ditto with other's advice to make the bows a scootch wider.  I've had great luck with the wood, too.  Some have taken more set than I would want.  Blame it on my tillering technique and the design I chose rather than just put it on the wood.   

I have a piece I want to make a modified ELB from, complete with sapwood back and heartwood belly because the difference in the colors is just as pretty as it is in osage and yew.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59:20 pm »
I had good luck tempering the belly on mulberry.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC