Author Topic: Yew and the hot box  (Read 2390 times)

Offline dmenzies1950

Yew and the hot box
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:20:51 pm »
Yay! I finally got my hands on some yew! Help me please! Can I achieve a satisfactory result drying it in a hotbox? If yes, help me with the specs, how hot? How long? Will it easily warp? Does it check badly, or is this old impatient guy going to have to wait the usual year? It gets harder to wait when you get my age and know your days are numbered! Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks, Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Yew and the hot box
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:24:31 am »
Del?  Keenan?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:42:48 am »
I don't have personal experience with fast drying yew but I hear rumors that it doesn't take too kindly to it. I'm interested to hear from people that have experience with this.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:47:16 am »
Gordon?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 01:24:55 am »
Yew can get a little wild if dried to thin, if you have a thick enough piece I would not hesitate to quick dry it. I personally would let it air dry for a week, seal the ends, and go for it....nothing too extreme on the heat.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:30:35 am »
I'm young but old fashioned when it comes to drying wood. Sorry can't help yah :/
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:16:14 am »
Is the bark still on it? If it's not I'd be real cautious with a hot box.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:24:58 am »
Yeah Wehlin, the bark is still on it. Fact is it was still standing 36 hours or so ago.
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:08:14 am »
Why always the rush?

Dumping a piece of green wood into a hot box is asking for troubles. Not just yew, but any wood. The outer surface will dry quickly, while the interior is still soaking wet. The outer wood cannot shrink, so it starts to check.
I´ve never used a hot box, but I don't really understand the hype about it. If you reduce the stave to near finished dimensions, you can work it today. Then just put it somewhere in the house to dry and it will dry in about 6 weeks or so. If you really cannot wait six weeks (maybe you're terminally ill), you can gently lay it in the hot box AFTER it has been drying for a week or two. This initial drying will  drive out a lot of moisture, which makes it less likely that the wood will check. I can see a hot box being useful in lowering the MC from, say, 15% down to 8%, but not from green to 8%.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:17:19 am »
I've never tried fast seasoning Yew, it's too rare to take the risk.
I was steam bending the last bow I did, and some cracks appeared on the belly, and that was after 12months seasoning as a half log and a coupl of months roughed out. The checks dissapeared as the bow was worked down, but it had me worrying.
Personally I find I'm getting more patient as I get older... busier, but more patient.
Get some white wood to play with while your Yew seasons, or rough it down a little and often to hasten the natural seasoning.
Maybe try sprinkling it with salt and peper, or a hint of chilli (silly Brit joke)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 02:06:09 pm »
Thanks for the good advice guys! Del I do have dozens of dry staves,(vine maple, hazelnut, cascara, Douglas maple etc.), it's just that I've never worked yew, and have read such glowing reports. By the way VMB, I'm not terminally ill as far as I know, I'm just old! Thanks,  Dale 

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »
Terminally ill? What? ???
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 05:49:34 pm »
Never tried a hot box my self but also never used yew that's been more than a year old. Usually a lot less than a year old. Combo of early roughing out in stages of days or weeks then a warm room in the house for weeks /months.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 06:55:18 pm »
VMB, I addressed the wrong guy. It was Dark Soul that interjected the terminally ill part, but the truth is that I'm pretty old.   Dale

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 07:57:26 pm »
I'm sorry if I offended you, that certainly wasn't my intention! I tried to emphasize that 'normal' drying of wood, without a heat box, takes only 6 weeks or so if you prep the wood well. Six weeks ain't that much of a wait, especially if that greatly reduces the chance of checks as you could get from using the heat box.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286