Author Topic: Pearl Drums Caul  (Read 4067 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Pearl Drums Caul
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:15 am »
Alright guys, today i made a full length caul like the one Pearl Drums just posted and a took a few pics and measurements so here they are.

First i started with two 8 foot 2 by 10's, cut them both to 68" long and marked the center of one of them. then i started playing around with curves, using a metal yard stick to form the curves. when i found the shape i like i took a rough measurement, then removed the ruler to get a better measurement. luck for you i've recorded the  measurements so you can just copy them if you wish. pretend the top center of the 2 by 10 is point 0,0 on and x, y scale, then just mark these points (inches) and drive a screw part way into the board.

X              Y
0             -1
20.5        -2
26           -3
31.5        -5
33.5        -6

then use your metal ruler to form the curve and copy the line. repeat for the other side and head to the saw. I used a jig saw for the top cut since this is rather a large piece to handle on the bandsaw. i then marked second line below the curve and offset by 3" this i cut out on the bandsaw since i didn't care what this line looked like. line your curved board up on the backing board and screw it down, now bend some wood!

Thank you so much to Pearl Drums who posted his caul and got my kickstarted to build mine!
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Pearl Drums Caul
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:02:03 am »
Great looking caul. You added a tad more reflex, great idea. You even have the same brand c clamps, bar clamps, bandsaw and rsap I have................you stalking me?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »
I don't think i am, maybe subconsciously I'm stalking you.
45# at 27"

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:22:34 pm »
Thanks for posting this Gopher.  I've been wanting to make a caul that serves the same purpose. 

I' love to see pics of bow after it came off the caul and know the length of the bow in case I want to tweak your (Pearly's) design to suit my needs a bit.  But, it looks darn near perfect for what I want.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:56:48 pm »

The whole stalking this is creepy enough, but your choice in stalking victim makes my skin crawl! 
dude! Think about your dignity!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dans89

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:55:18 pm »
Thanks for this!!! I've been looking for a starting point on a caul for a while now, I'm headed out to the shop right now :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »

Great minds think alike Golder Lopher!...............I mean Gopher....sorry...GO BLUE!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.