Author Topic: Straight or Radial Fletch  (Read 4024 times)

Offline ojibwatbowyer

Straight or Radial Fletch
« on: February 19, 2013, 04:22:04 pm »
What are some of the differences between radial and straight fletching? I used to fletch by hand with mixed results, I happenend to be pick up a fletching jig by chance passing through a larger city, that was all they had. I see the benefits of a jig as opposed to by hand, mainly being easier, faster, and symetrical. No I am wondering how much of a difference there is between straight and radial.

With radial the arrow spins which increases overall accuracy, but my straight fletch also spins to some degree. And the choice of fletching comes into play as well. For example, ive used canada goose and micheals craft feathers when i first started out. Now I have also had a chance to use wild turkey and some type of goose from china, which worked well. ( oh btw Id use seagull feathers before I use Micheals again)

I did notice that even with the chinese goose feathers(primary), because the way they were trimmed and applied, there was some natural radial curve which aided in the spin and was fairly accurate despite my horrible aim at times. And the canadain goose feathers also primary, when cut were completely straight and very stiff, but still spun when "Loosed"  to some degree. Now I have also shot arrows with radial fletch, but the arrows were not matched to the bow, but were still accurate, well they went straight despite being stiff.

So I guess my real question is, How much difference is there and am I missing out?
I figure that im doing alright considering I dont really know what im missing out on and dont really have any complaints, so is the grass greener on the other side of the fence, Im too "$$ short $$" at the moment to look over. ???

Offline ojibwatbowyer

Re: Straight or Radial Fletch
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:04:06 pm »
Just one more thing, Storage. I left my arrows in the quiver and now the feathers are a bit ruffled. Suggestions?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 06:30:37 pm »
Just one more thing, Storage. I left my arrows in the quiver and now the feathers are a bit ruffled. Suggestions?
   Hold them over some steam for a few minutes and they will magically straighten up. I use a tea kettle.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:51:48 pm »
I use a Jojan Multifletch straight fletcher and offset the fleather on my arrows. Even straight fletching will spin an arrow just because of the make-up of the feather. An offset fletch spins a bit more and IMO plenty to get good arrow flight with commercial, trade or stone points. Plus, a straight fletch jig can fletch left and right wing feathers. I helical fletching jig only fletcher one side or the other but not both like a straight fletch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:54:23 pm »
The helical does add more spin sooner and will be more forgiving to a degree. Like Pat said all feathers have a bit of helical to them naturally and if you with straight fletch make them offset.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:18:43 am »
Listen to Matt! He's the pro.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:32:47 am »
Maybe its the lack of sleep during my mid terms and my diet of cigarettes and coffee, but im having trouble visualizing how to off set them, explain more.

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:28:34 am »
Thanks Pat! I had to chuckle at that one though. Lol!
I had a great mentor.
On a jig straight offsetting is done by using a straight clamp and then setting the jig do your fletch rests on the shaft at a slight angle like this \ (that's what a LW fletch would look like). RW would be this way / Not that extreme but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:22:20 am by Matt G. »
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 08:12:57 am »
I don't mean to be critical Matt, or maybe I am missing something, but are your eyes crossed??? LOL...Looks to me like you have you /\ are backwards?  Or maybe my eyes are crossed?? 

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 08:21:34 am »
You are correct Stringstretcher! I have the backwards. Need more coffee! :o
See I told ya I have a good mentor.  ;)

I corrected them so now they are right.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 08:24:26 am »
LOL....I am always backwards in the morning, and as a matter of fact, most of the day too :o

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 08:28:30 am »
Glad I'm not the only one. Lol! Thanks for looking out!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:58:14 am »
Thanks fellas, that visual helped a lot. Ill try it our first chance I get.

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 07:50:28 pm »
I have another Question..? Should the radial be so the arrow goes in towards the arrow rest or outward.?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »
I have another Question..? Should the radial be so the arrow goes in towards the arrow rest or outward.?

Just  because I'm bored, lets get rid of the word radial  in this context. It doesn't apply. At any given point on the fletching, all the forms mentioned above have that part of the  feather standing  radially from the shaft--along a radius from the center.
As far as any means of spinning the arrow, what is gained is an averaging of any tendency of the arrow  to fly a curve in a radial direction (radial does apply here, meaning  at 90 degrees to the axis of the shaft.

Rifle  bullets are stabilized by spinning, but the longer the projectile, the faster the rate of  spin needed  to stabilize it.  An arrow shaft would have to rotate  at something like one turn for every 5/8 inch of forward motion  to stabilize the way a bullet  does. If you are having a hard time swallowing that, google George Greenhill and rifling, or go here, http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes%5CTECH%20NOTE%20110%20PROJECTILE%20WT%20vs%20TWIST%20120725%20Rev%200%20%28Final%29.pdf
and do the math.

End of current pedantry.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine