Author Topic: Snakes and cracks  (Read 2471 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Snakes and cracks
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:29:22 am »
I have built my share of osage bows now and many had snakes of varying degrees in them. There is a trend Im starting to see develop. When the string leaves the body of the bow due to wide swooping snakes, they will crack there 95% of the time. Im guesssing its a torque issue. Anybody else see this happening?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Snakes and cracks
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:47 am »
Had some issues when try to get the propeller out of the big swoops ,but not really after that,if the don't split open then while heating  ,they usually don't for me. :) I have found you have to be really careful when tillering in those areas for sure. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:10:23 am »
I have issues with them sometimes while heating thru them,even when I know the wood is plenty dry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:31:42 am »
It took me a few minutes to figure out what you were saying. Still on my first cup of coffee. No, I really haven't had that problem that I can remember. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:47:16 am »
Must be bad luck then? I will take pics tonite and post them. The bows are all laid out nicely, even the cracks follow the profile right!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:40:38 am »
My two cents: hen the string alignment goes out of the middle of limb you should make the side of limb pointing to the middle thicker (imagine a rectangular limb cross section then it is evident you get trapezoid cross sections in those areas). The greater the distance, the deeper the trapez.
Hope you understand what I mean - always difficult for me explaining complex things not in the language of my mother.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 11:45:47 am »
Simon my grandpa could translate for me, he still speaks German!

I know exactly what you are saying. The inside of the snake should have a bit more thickness than the outside. I will try that next time.

Offline simson

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:11 am »
Yes exactly!
I have always wondered about your name - now I see!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline simson

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:17:20 pm »
Haha
Greetings to your grandpa from good old Germany!
When you ever come over the great pond - I invite you to visit me here in Bavaria.
Have a good time!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:36 pm »
I will tell him you said that, he is only 89 years old. So he is quite spry yet!