Author Topic: red elm ???  (Read 1940 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
red elm ???
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:15:02 am »
Is this amount of runoff OK ???
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:19:43 am by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline sleek

Re: red elm ???
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:28:50 am »
Probably not. I say that because there is not one single continuous line of grain from fade to tip. And if there is, its only one, and not enough. Maybe if you back it, make it light weight, short draw, bendy handle.... Why didnt you just follow the grain? Woulda made a nice character bow...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:42:31 am »
It was one of those rookie mistakes... I seen the bark running straight and ran it through the band saw....it was the last time!!!!!!!!! >:(

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:01:27 am »
Twisted sister :(
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 10:09:46 am »
  Are you sure thats red elm.
  I cut and use elm somewhat and never seen a elm stave with gain like that.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 09:07:45 pm »
Yep its red elm

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 09:40:57 pm »
With the exception of maybe hickory, elm would have the best chance of surviving that.  That being said, I would probably back it.  I would be hesitant to give it to somebody even with a strong backing. If I were making it for myself...well....that's a different story.  But I don't sweat unbacked erc either, so my judgement might be in question from time to time. ;) ;D.  Just my .02. Josh

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:33:50 pm »
Well even with those grain runoffs it could probably still work but a rawhide backing wouldn't hurt just try it if it fails then try again learn from your mistakes
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:47 am »
I normally wouldn't back a stave bow but in this case I would. I'd decrown it(something else I'd never do) then add a hickory or even elm backing to it and you might as well add some reflex.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:37 am »
What about sinew???????

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 07:33:09 am »
Even sinew has its limits.  Stuff it in the rafters until you have time to try and save it.  In the meantime, grab another stave and get to work.  I won't tell you it's hopeless, but I will tell you that if or more likely when it blows, it will be close to full draw when it does.  You don't have much invested right now.  If you have it tillered out and it blows......well that's a different story then isn't it?  You just gotta ask yourself if you have the time to risk it.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:46:30 am »
If I had the time to experiment id see what happened unbacked,but I wouldn't waste my time sinewing it...and in all honesty if it were mine id prob just burn it cause whitewoods a dime a dozen n plenty more out there to get another tree n properly stave it out this time.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 12:08:41 pm »
With the exception of maybe hickory, elm would have the best chance of surviving that.  That being said, I would probably back it.  I would be hesitant to give it to somebody even with a strong backing. If I were making it for myself...well....that's a different story.  But I don't sweat unbacked erc either, so my judgement might be in question from time to time. ;) ;D.  Just my .02. Josh

I'm absolute with Gun Doc! Elm has a great amount of interlocking grain. and I would definitely don't waste sinew (lot of work) on this stave, which I suspect too long for sinew.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany