Author Topic: First Set!  (Read 3332 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

First Set!
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:05:23 am »
These past couple of weeks I've really been working hard at getting a set of arrows and a bow done from start to finish.  I started off hacking away at a sweet gum stave it turned out all twisted.  I sent it to the burn pile where my previous broken bows were reduced to ashes.  There was a crepe myrtle stave, which was my last dry stave.  I went at it working as much as I had time for.  I feel like the tiller is still a little off so I might work on that tomorrow.  I stained it with a mixture of hickory nut husks, coffee grounds, and ash bark to give it the reddish color.  Let me know what y'all think!

I cheated on the bowstring.  My brother is into yoyoing so we used his yoyo string machine to make a glorified string that was four times the width of a normal yoyo string.  I'll work on a natural agave string tomorrow or try to shoot a squirrel.

Next on the to-do list was arrows.  I've been working on arrows a little bit here and there but mostly I'd just make one until I lost it and then make another.  When I first got interested in bows(last summer) I also got interested in knapping and made a few arrowheads here and there... nothing great but pointy nonetheless.  Last Wednesday I brought my knapping material to school and knapped between classes.  It helped that my lab partner and I decided to skip that morning's lab.  I've only ever used glass since down here in central Florida I don't have access to rocks and glass looks so pretty when knapped.

The one on the left wasn't used since it didn't fit in any of the arrows well....and I lost it.  ;D

I used just pine pitch to haft the heads on the shaft.

I reckon I need to kill a coon now so I can make a quiver to put these arrows in.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:19:19 am by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: First Set!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:11:58 am »
Bow and arrows both look great. I would put a wrap behind those points or else they will split your shafts.
Steve Bennett

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:04:31 am »
Any pics of the sweet gum stave? I may pay you shipping to send it to me....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline randman

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:04:03 am »
Nice job there Tim. You're skills are coming along nicely. Good job on the tiller even thought the tips are a little thick. You could improve performance by thinning them down a little. X2 on what Turtle said about the arrow points (nice points too). Now go shoot the snot out of it.
What is the draw weight?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 04:51:10 am »
Great looking bow. Tiller looks spot on.
Cool arrows too.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:17:27 am »
I like it Tim!
I still have not gotten an arrow made. I have all the supplies, I just need to put down the bows for a bit and put a little time into a set. Yours look great.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:36:18 am »
Nice job on the crepe myrtle and arrows. What are the stats of the bow? I just broke out a dry cm stave out that I cut last spring and roughed her down to shape yesterday in preparation for this weekend's tillering sessions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:10:54 pm by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:43:45 am »
Thanks for the kind words!  It's really encouraging.

It's 60" long tip to tip.  Sorry, I'm unable to measure the draw weight due to the lack of a scale.

You could improve performance by thinning them down a little.

Ugh... I already thinned them down a lot.  Ok I might thin them down when I go back and tweak the tiller.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:27:53 am »
Really nice job on that Tim. The glass does make pretty arrow heads. As far as the tips go, I used to make my tips thicker than they needed to be but once I understood that less weight on the tips means a faster, cleaner shooting bow I have learned to take off alot more wood and still keep the integrity. You just ahve to ease up on it till you feel comfortable. Crepe Myrtle seems like good bow wood from what I have seen on here.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »
Nice side profile bud, can you get us a front profile shot?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 03:34:10 pm »
Nice side profile bud, can you get us a front profile shot?
  Would you like that at full draw, braced, or unbraced?

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 03:51:13 pm »
Full draw frontals are dangerous to the camera, braces makes it hard to see the profile, so un braced is best.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 04:21:51 pm »
The bow looks great, I like the primitive look to it you did a good job. i dont know how narrow the tips are but they look a little clunky, if you can take a little more wood itll reduce any hand shock. As far as the arrows go Id also wrap behind the point to prevent splitting and you can shoot those without worry. i think you did a very good job for your first set :) keep up the good work!
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 05:47:20 pm »
Thanks legionnaire!  I did end up wrapping the arrows.  I just went stump shooting with the bow and it was so much fun and it shot well with no noticeable hand shock so I think I'll leave this one as is and apply the narrower tips suggestion to my next bow which will be a hackberry with natural reflex.  Probably going to fail out of college cause of these self bows.  >:D 

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 06:46:01 pm »
Full draw frontals are dangerous to the camera, braces makes it hard to see the profile, so un braced is best.
  One unbraced photo of the back coming up!