Author Topic: Identified a tree today.  (Read 1614 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Identified a tree today.
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:38:49 pm »
So today i was out in the National forest with my family, and as i was hiking, i noticed what looked to be what ive seen as VM. on closer inspection i found that it IS VM! Now i can positively say that i know what it looks like and will be able to track it down from now on.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Identified a tree today.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:43:23 pm »
Just wait until it gets leaves on it.  Super easy to id then.  Good feeling identifying trees and such isn't it!?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:46:19 pm »
Yeah no kidding! i was so excited. sadly MY  ::) trees where in a national forest...so i couldn't chop away at them  :'(.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:54:01 pm »
Sure you can. Just go down to the ranger station and tell them what you want to do. You should be able to get a cheap permit for vine maple staves. If they say you can't, they're probably giving you the run around.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:02:19 am »
you serious?! i will totally do that! they were decent sized! definitely 2 1/2 inches maybe a bit more.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:59:50 am »
       its cheeper if you ask for a pole permit. this means you want to make your own fence post. in wash. state
 5yrs ago up to 10"dia. and 10' long $1.00 each. I don't live there anymore so may have changed.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:48 am »
State forest in Oregon allows vine maple harvest up to a truck load per trip....for free.  Not sure how WA state forests are managed.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso