Author Topic: Don't build bows at PEARLY'S house!  (Read 6425 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Don't build bows at PEARLY'S house!
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 11:24:30 am »
Bamboo backing survival might have to do with how the boo was harvested, seasoned, stored and prepared for backings just like selfbow wood. If you could harvest, season and prep your own boo the results might be better than 25%. Not picking on you Gordon.  ;)
 I have only had one hickory backed bow break(cross grain on hickory backing) and have built many hickory backed bows, some with pretty crappy backing grain. I've had bellies fail but never had a sound hickory backing fail, no matter what the grain configuration.
 Any sawn piece of wood will have grain violation just by sawing through the log. Also, there are more than one type of grain in a log.  George Tsoukalas points this out in his description of a properly chosen board to be used for selfbows. I think the angle of the violation(s) is the more critical aspect of choosing the right board, whether for selfbows or backing strips but properly harvested, stored, seasoned and prepped wood(or boo) is also as important. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 11:29:13 am »
Good points Pat. 

Sounds like you guys had a good time anyway. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 01:23:50 pm »
The best part after the camaraderie Carson? He left with a quart of home made apple sauce and a broken bow ;) . And I was left with six perfect grapefruits. Gotta love swapping!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 04:12:36 pm »
The most beautiful 25 slat shipment of bamboo I bought from Frank's years ago turned out to be bad bamboo, every piece I used failed. Too much variance in the way most commercial bamboo is handled, I only use local bamboo now that I cut myself, I have very few failures.

Offline zenart

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 01:33:48 am »
Anyone else have similar experience w/ Frank's boo??  Cuz he's like three blocks from my apt. and I was just gonna get some. Should I bother?
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

mikekeswick

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 05:16:32 am »
Bubby, you use 1/4 sawn backers? And what type of Maple? I've had hickory backing blow up splinters too.

Straight grain is what matters. Any wood will blow with violated grain.