Author Topic: California flatbow build question  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Hunts with stone

California flatbow build question
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:35:19 pm »
Ok I've got a ash stave worked to 1 1/4" thick at a 5" long handle. 67" long, 31" limbs from handle. Working width is 1/78".  .     Opinions on layout design or dimension changes. Also I don't wish to back this bow.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: California flatbow build question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:03:07 am »
Are you going for a Native style short bow?  That seems a bit long but who knows I hear tell that my ancestors used to have the little bows for small game, and then the equivalent of the .50 cal, so who knows.  I've had good experiences with ash left wide like that I don't think you'd have to back it.  If it is a Native style are you gonna flip those tips?

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:21:29 am »
Yes flipped tips.and reflexed.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:07:52 am »
Part of what makes the Modoc style bow so powerful is its reflex design, which is largely due to the 'thiness' of the limbs and several layers of sinew. Although ash may not be as 'flexible' as juniper or yew, you are compensating that with a longer designed bow. If you keep the limbs wide enough and have it bend through the handle this seems doable to me.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »
i'm putting the finishing touches on my ishi bow, ash, 55"ttt, temper, reflex and sinew, mine pulls 26" easy
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹