Author Topic: I need some guidance on a red oak build.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Puma

I need some guidance on a red oak build.
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:37:43 pm »
Hello Bow Makers! My first post and I've a few questions. I cut some red oak staves last year in anticipation of learning to make at least one successful bow. I'm an experienced woodworker but have zero experience with bow making. My first question is what type of (red oak) bow is best to start with? What dimensions?

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: I need some guidance on a red oak build.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:37:25 pm »
my opinion is to make oaks wide. the shorter you plan to make it the wider it should be, or the more stress you plan to put it under the wider it should be. I dont think there are any set dimensions, but i like to make my limbs about 2 inches wide at the fades. And about 3/8 inches at the tips. whats in between is up to you. if you want a 50 lber then you should aim for a shorter bow like 64 inches and keep the limbs 2 inches wide for around half the limb maybe more, and then taper to the tips, which should be around 1/2 inch. the handle is up to you, you can make it super narrow but really deep or you could make it really wide and not as deep, or you can find a balance. 1-1 1/4 inches is a good sized, then just leave it deep until you need to have the handle bending, if you dont want the handle bending you can make the bow a bit longer and have a static handle. Granted, every stat i gave you is relative, none of it is going to be exact, so just go with what seems about right, after your first one, observe what your bow looks like. if it took set, ask yourself why. did you have it on the tree for to long? were your limbs to thin or to narrow? was the design a bad design for the wood? figure out what you did "wrong" (not really wrong just maybe not what you were looking for.) and then you can improve on it the next time. keep improving until your pumping bows that are amazing and seem perfect. If it helps you can keep a bow journal, in it you can write down findings and experiments and what works and what doesnt, and what to watch for and what to expect. Hope this helps
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:39:07 pm »
67" long, 2" wide from center out 24" each way, Then taper to 5/8" wide tips.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »
67" long, 2" wide from center out 24" each way, Then taper to 5/8" wide tips.

+1
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Puma

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 03:09:06 am »
Thanks for the responses! I cut sixteen staves so I've got plenty of opportunities to get it right. I'm jumpin' out of my skin I'm so excited about making a working bow and arrows. A new challenge in woodworking and engineering! I've been reading all I can and with all the different bow types it gets confusing sometimes. I sincerely appreciate your help.

A few questions; what happens when a bow breaks? Should I wear armor while testing? ...only half joking. Obviously, I'd wear safety glasses.

What sort of finish is best for bows? I do shellac or beeswax for most of my woodworking but they may not be appropriate for bows? Suggestions?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:12:33 am »
never hurts to be safe when your testing, after you've shot it in a few hundred times then you should be fine without safety glasses
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:22:39 am »
It would help if we knew what draw length and weight you are looking for. Lots of options depending on that.  :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Puma

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:05 am »
I hunted with a bow as a teenager but that was a long time ago. I don't know what draw length or weight due to lack of adult experience. I read that red oak stands up to 45 pounds reliably so I was going to aim for that. I'm open to suggestions on all counts.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 10:33:21 am »
For a good easy first build,if you are going for 45 lbs at say 26 or 27 I would make a 4 inch handle 1 1/2 fads  1 3/4 at the fad and tapper to 1/2 at the tips.66 total and 64 nock to nock,if you have a long draw than that,and most don't just make it a little longer. The thing about the pyramid design is you can keep the limb thickness Petty much the same the full length and be pretty close when you start the tiller.I would probably rough the limb thickness to about 5/8 to start floor tillering and go from there.keep it a little thicker at the fad to start so you don't get a hinge there right off,you can get it bending closer to the fads as you get closer to finish draw length. Hope this helps,keep us posted and pictures if you can as you go along and someone will help along the way.Good luck and have fun. :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good