Author Topic: Red Oak Board Bow Trade 2012  (Read 11401 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Red Oak Board Bow Trade 2012
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »
I just wanted to check, is it ok if i back my trade bow with hemp or something? i want to push this bow to be more, but i also want it to be safe. let me know what you all think!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 03:16:02 pm »

A bow made from a Red Oak board, it may be backed for safety or aesthetics but not with wood or bamboo.

"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 05:52:39 pm »
ok, thanks for that!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 02:36:52 pm »
OK, here's my planned bows to pick from for the trade. I will be attempting 6 bows, 3 molles and 3 recurves. I will be using hemp backed, brown paper backed, and silk backed. Each of the 3 designs will be backed with one of each of the 3 backings i mentioned. ( i know the molles might be harder to get working nicely.) I will be picking the best of the 6. What do you all think?

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 02:50:48 pm »
OK, here's my planned bows to pick from for the trade. I will be attempting 6 bows, 3 molles and 3 recurves. I will be using hemp backed, brown paper backed, and silk backed. Each of the 3 designs will be backed with one of each of the 3 backings i mentioned. ( i know the molles might be harder to get working nicely.) I will be picking the best of the 6. What do you all think?

Make sure to make your molles long (70") and wide or they will chrysal... I can garuntee it.

Jon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 03:04:16 pm »
alright, ill make them 70 inches. The recurves i was planning for about 66 inches. I will be making both the recurve and molle limbs wide(as in 2-2.5 in) because i think that's the best way to remove stress unnecessary stress from the bow. I have no doubt that i will have about 10 staves to start with, i would like 6 to turn out, but even if they don't i would be happy with one of each(this is kind of an experiment since I've done a bunch of board bows) And since these are experiment bows that is the reason for the backings. When each of them are done i will shoot 500 arrows though it and then make an assessment of the bows. The best of them will be given to my recipient  ;D

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2013, 03:54:04 am »
Ok guys this is the bow that is going out. Had two going and had one break during tillering. It is 1.5 inches at the fades to .5 tips. 64 inches TTT 50@ ____ inches. I hope that the guy getting this enjoys it as much as I had making it. It is 0230 hours and I just finished up the leather grip. Its a shoot of the hand design with no arrow rest. Rawhide backing and then stained with four coats of Tru Oil and three of spar urithane.

Any comments or complaints welcome.... Thank you guys for this trade this year. This is my second bow that survived. Tomorrow I will shoot it some more and then send it on its way!!!

By the way... I hate doing leather grips... this is my third attempt and it was the best so I left it alone!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2013, 09:49:32 am »
It looks damn fine to me!

Offline autologus

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2013, 10:52:14 am »
It looks great, I'm to the point of shooting mine in some and rechecking the tiller.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 02:53:22 pm »
ok here it is. its the basic read oak pyramid style bow, 66'' t2t, and 51lbs @ 25''. I have spent a good amount of time shooting this one in and it seems to fire as good as any other bow. im hoping to ship it this week sometime, and i hope the new owner enjoys it. i dont know about anyone else but i sure had fits on this bow trade, boards seem alittle harder for me to turn into a bow lol, i exploded a few along the way.

Roy
Philippians 3: 7-11