Author Topic: a new way of tanning  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

a new way of tanning
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:34:52 am »
ok everyone i found a new way of tanning that turns a fleshed hide or rawhide into a tanned hide in an hour. although after trying it i would recomend you use rawhide. i tested it with some squirrel rawhide with the fur on. the basic prosses is that you put 2 scoopes of powder and a cap of fabric conditioner in with it and put it on a low setting and after an hour it turns out like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjBeYkr4qkw

i will try to make a build/tan along video showing how i do it
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: a new way of tanning
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:40:11 am »
If tanning were than easy, tanneries would all be done tanning skins in an hour.   They have what are called "one hour tans" but they simply reduce shrinking by removing or neutralizing the Proteins in the skin (these solutions are not laundry soap of any kind). They still dry rock hard afterwards unless vigorously worked. You currently have wet, clean and softer rawhide.  Now if you keep working it until it's completely dry, breaking the fibers of the skin up and stretching them out, then you will have a soft, supple skin.   Let it lay and it will harden up into rawhide again in a couple days.  The fabric softener is taking the place of the natural oils found in brains...that is likely where you got that information from.  There is no mixture of ingredients to magically turn the skin soft and supple.  the solution mixtures chemically preserve the skin by removing protein. The soft and supple part comes from working the skin.  Tanneries use great big, dangerous machines to pull and stretch the skins. regular folks can only use man power to soften them. even if you work it supple, it will return to rawhide and get hard again if it gets wet and dries out again without being worked. that why you have to heavily smoke the skin, or use the chemical tan.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:43:14 am »
What Ryan said. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:44:39 am »
it's still plyable and hsn't gone hard, not even at the edges. seems to have worked. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:33 am »
....yup guess you figured it all out then.   give it a few days. It only has two options. get hard, or start to stink and the hair will slip from not drying fast enough. You would think that you would eventually start heading the advice of the people who have been around and done it all before.  One thing you will find is there are no shortcuts when it comes to primitive living.    you will have some degree of leather if you continue to work it and stretch it until it is completely dry. Now is the time to start working it.  Trust someone who has worked skins longer than you have been alive. I can see why people have been fed up with you lately.. you are at that "I know everything about the world" stage.   Instead of taking the "I re-invented the wheel approach",  be humble and tell folks "Thanks for the advice" and "I will try that". Don't be afraid to ask questions or admit when something didn't work out as planned.  No one will look down at you for trying something new, but you will look like a fool when you insist you have been victorious when the rest of the world knows the truth from years of experience.   Keep in mind there have been thousands of generations before hand that have done all these things. anything and everything that could have been tried has been done. You are not the first one, by a long shot, who has put a skin in the washing machine....if it didn't work for them....     
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:46:12 am »
Yeah, I'd say that you now have processed rawhide, and not actual tanned leather. I made a similar mistake when I started out. Tanning actually breaks down the proteins in the hide with a chemical reaction turning it to leather permanently.

What you have isn't useless, you could use it for a number of things, but its not tanned leather, not unless there is something in laundry detergent that I don't know about. My guess is that if you get it wet once more it will dry hard once again.

Ease up a bit twisted. The only thing less appealing than a young know it all is an old know it all. Youth have an excuse to be foolhardy, elders should know better.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:56:14 pm »
Apparently you haven't been following any of SS's posts.. I too was in your shoes once telling people to ease up. ;)  The pattern from previous posts have been the same.   I certainly don't know it all about anything, especially tanning. The issue at hand is when advice is given, SS has been arguing with thousands of years of experience (not mine, I am not that old) and claiming to have basically re-invented the wheel on nearly every post.  That was simply my last post about admitting you don't know it all is the first step to actually learning something. After this I won't respond to his posts..same as many before me.   before too long you will try to help and soon you will be telling him the same thing I just did, and many others have done before, and someone will tell you to ease up   ;D.  My only regret is that I got caught up in this cycle instead of staying out of it!  lol   no hard feelings.  Slack, very rarely will you ever see me post a negative thing, I always like to be everyone's friend...  Sometimes you gotta tell a youngster to slow down and take some advice.  I did that once at his age... posted something that I was wrong about and fought to prove I was just "that smart"...  the difference is, I looked like a fool and I knew it and I made sure I didn't claim anything until I had some solid evidence... or if I was wrong about something, I took advice and said, "Yes sir, I appreciate the help" and moved forward.  Life lessons start young.  But yeah I am not going to entertain his posts any longer unless the people giving advice start receiving some support, appreciation and respect in return.  If he won't take advice, I suppose he can learn though trial and error.

Ease up a bit twisted. The only thing less appealing than a young know it all is an old know it all. Youth have an excuse to be foolhardy, elders should know better.
[/quote]
 ;D  I will agree with you.... that's why I wont respond any further... you go have fun with him a while >:D    and best not call me an Elder!  :o I am not halfway there yet!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 01:02:06 pm »
I think the best thing for ALL TO DO, is just ignore any of SS post.  It looks like he might be accomplishing what he set out to do, and that is get people against one another.  He has been ask numerous times to prove what he say about certain things, not only here, but on other places as well, and has yet to prove it.  From what we know he is 15.  If you look at the times of his post, you will find a lot of them are within school time hours?  He has not listened to any one on here that tried to help him, but yet defied their suggestions and then said it worked for him.  Such a shame that a young kid has no respect for any one and just has to post to get attention.  I, like some others, am completely done even viewing his post.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:18:38 pm »
Apparently you haven't been following any of SS's posts.. I too was in your shoes once telling people to ease up. ;)  The pattern from previous posts have been the same.   I certainly don't know it all about anything, especially tanning. The issue at hand is when advice is given, SS has been arguing with thousands of years of experience (not mine, I am not that old) and claiming to have basically re-invented the wheel on nearly every post.  That was simply my last post about admitting you don't know it all is the first step to actually learning something. After this I won't respond to his posts..same as many before me.   before too long you will try to help and soon you will be telling him the same thing I just did, and many others have done before, and someone will tell you to ease up   ;D.  My only regret is that I got caught up in this cycle instead of staying out of it!  lol   no hard feelings.  Slack, very rarely will you ever see me post a negative thing, I always like to be everyone's friend...  Sometimes you gotta tell a youngster to slow down and take some advice.  I did that once at his age... posted something that I was wrong about and fought to prove I was just "that smart"...  the difference is, I looked like a fool and I knew it and I made sure I didn't claim anything until I had some solid evidence... or if I was wrong about something, I took advice and said, "Yes sir, I appreciate the help" and moved forward.  Life lessons start young.  But yeah I am not going to entertain his posts any longer unless the people giving advice start receiving some support, appreciation and respect in return.  If he won't take advice, I suppose he can learn though trial and error.

;D  I will agree with you.... that's why I wont respond any further... you go have fun with him a while >:D    and best not call me an Elder!  :o I am not halfway there yet!
[/quote]

I havn't been following him, so I'll take your word for it, but the more I read, the more I realize you're probably right. It just surprised me is all because everyone here is usually so cordial and helpful. I'm just not used to seeing that here.

Edit: yeah, I just read a bit more of his stuff. You can just forget about what I said before. Let him have it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:23:15 pm by Slackbunny »

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 09:01:09 pm »
I know what you mean Slackbunny.... it is out of place on this forum..lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:06:50 am »
He apoligised. let's just give him a chance. SS it's good to try old things a new way. Just make sure it works before you preach about it
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.