Author Topic: Ipe in N. Kentucky  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Stonedog

Ipe in N. Kentucky
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:31:24 am »
All-

Does anyone know a dealer that sells Ipe in northern Kentucky? 

I have ordered in the past from Advantage Lumber....but with the shipping costs.......
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Ky Headhunter

Re: Ipe in N. Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 09:16:23 pm »
Hi Stonedog, unfortunately I can't be of much help, I haven't been able to find any hardwood dealers in northern Kentucky.  A buddy & I went to Paxton Lumber in Cincinnati to see what they had in the way of tropical woods, but they didn't have much of a selection at the time.  The only piece we found with suitable grain was a jatoba 6"x6"x12', which was way out of our price range.  Neither of us have the power equipment to reduce such a piece efficiently anyway.  They didn't have any Ipe at all. 

Sorry to be of such little help, just wanted to check in with a fellow northern Kentuckian.  Shoot me a PM or e-mail sometime if you'd like to get together & shoot.  I belong to an archery club that has "primitive friendly" traditional stakes at all 3-d shoots (I'm the rangemaster, so I see to it >:D).  Would love to have a fellow natural archery buff in attendance, or we could just do some backyard arrow slinging.

huntersim

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 10:40:16 pm »
We have a place called Requarth Lumber in dayton. They carry it in stock. I know Its at least an hour from you but if your ever passing through......

Offline episaacs

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 11:09:49 am »
I've bought ipe from Paxton.  They used to carry lots of nice exotic woods when they catered to hobbyists, but since they changed their business model to serve only contractors, it's less friendly to bowyers there.  They still carry lots of domestic woods and a few of the more popular exotics.  They have lots of ipe that they sell for decking.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:53:29 am »
Talk to one of the building contractors that uses ipe for decking. If they are like other contractors I know, there is always plenty of "waste" in their scrap piles for bows...even if you have to splice billets at the handles. Offer to make them a bow and they will probably help you out.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:27:13 pm »
Stonedog, If can drive to one of these yards, and look through the boards yourself you will be able to compare the boards, and find the one or two which are really straight, dark and heavy which tend to be my favorites.. ;D Although some of the boards which aren't super heavy I use for very long, and heavy bows, and some can run from a light brown to black in the ringlines which can be rather wild looking...

Rich-immersed in ipe dust daily

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:30:44 pm »
In this area (Western Montana), you can buy Ipe wherever decking is sold. Still not cheap, I'll guarantee you.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline episaacs

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 02:14:38 pm »
If you go to Paxton, you will need to ask for the ipe, as they don't keep any on the floor in the store... it's all out in the warehouse or the yard.  They won't let you go out and look it over, but will bring some in for you to look at.  Very long pieces too.... make sure you bring your own saw, as they will no longer cut for you. :-\