Author Topic: Spliced Nocks a bad idea in Recurves?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Spliced Nocks a bad idea in Recurves?
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:25:07 pm »
Hey guys.  I've got a new recurve in the oven and I'm thinking about nock tip types.  I like those splecedin tips that are popular now but I wonder if they will work on a Recurve.  In flat bows and gentle R/D bows the force is still transmitted into the belly wood but on a recurve the geometry changes a bit and i sonder if there will be a tendancy for them to want to be levered off?  Has anyone tried this?

Offline Eubeen Hadd

• My blog!
Re: Spliced Nocks a bad idea in Recurves?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:56 pm »
I saw a thread on here somewhere where somebody spliced in maple (?) siyahs onto a hickory board bow, and the hickory broke in tension before the splices or the maple itself broke. It's doable, but I'd practice gluing up some pieces if you aren't comfortable with glue ups yet.

Edit: Found it http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=31897.0
Nick from Sandwich, IL
I'm just a senior in high school trying to get into college, and the world beyond.
Despite all my rage, I have yet to find any osage.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Spliced Nocks a bad idea in Recurves?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:23:16 pm »
I mean the beveled type.  Those bows are under a TON of tension..  All my attempts snapped also.  I've backed away from that design for now.  There is a reason the bellies are either horn or fiberglass and back are sinew or fiberglass.  IMO. 

Look at pics of Keenan's work.  That kind of tip overlay that bevels into the body of the bow.