Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

Sapwood layer on hickory

(1/3) > >>

Franklyn:
Greetings to all

I am very new to this site, and have enjoyed traditional archery a long time - semi - retired now and want to work a hickory log into a few primitive bows. The log has been seasoned, bark removed and hand split into staves. This was all done in the summer time. There is a heavy layer of white sapwood  remaining on the staves. Does this have to be removed  before being made into a bow. My experience level for this endeavour is low but, as has been said by knowledgeable people before, a bow cannot be made until the chips fly and any expertise you could provide will leave me indebted forever. Thanks for any help.

Hillbilly:
Welcome aboard. For a hickory bow, the sapwood is what you want. The first ring under the bark is the back of your bow. Start making some shavings, and everybody on here will be glad to help you with any questions.

Pappy:
Like Hillbilly said all you need to do is clean it up a little and lay out the bow on the back and go
at it.And welcome the more the merrier. :)
   Pappy

cowboy:
Ditto ;). Can you post a picture of the end of your stave?

Franklyn:
Thanks for replies and Cowboy,  I'll take a picture and include it here, or, I will TRY and include it here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version